collapse

Author Topic: Wolf Eel  (Read 657 times)

Offline SeaWolf

Wolf Eel
« on: April 25, 2021, 09:32:55 PM »
Is it frowned upon to spear Wolf Eel? 

The meat is great in my opinion! But they eat urchins. So with the urchin problem going on I figure it's good to let 'em live to rid more urchins.

A couple years ago I was given chance to spear a HUGE Wolf Eel. It was at least 6ft long, swam under me, then went into a hole and started munching urchins. At the time I wasn't sure of the legality to take it so I left him. Upon researching, it's legal. But after further thought I don't know if it is ethical.

I'm curious of others' opinions.

Offline pclark

Re: Wolf Eel
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 09:27:08 AM »
If its legal to take it and you want to eat it, DO IT! 
who cares what others think
I have never shot one, but others enjoy them.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 11:34:31 AM »
I dont shoot them, it's bad luck. But I've been out with people that do. So up to you. If you want that bad luck, go for it.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Tez

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 01:38:37 PM »
I wouldn't take one, mostly because they live 25+ years and mate for life.  They're also kinda cool, you can return to the same hole and they'll usually still be there.  They also eat urchin, like you said.  Don't think we need to be wiping out the few things that eat urchin.

But it's legal, so you can make your own choice.  Maybe they taste good enough to be worth it?  Never tasted one...

Offline SeaWolf

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 05:57:04 PM »
Derek, I'm not superstitious, but I don't mess with superstitions either. Kinda like bananas or whistling on a boat. I don't mess with that "bad luck" stuff.

Yea Tez, that was my thinking.
I've tasted them after that incident and I really liked it. Granted it was only about 4ft long. The meat was similar to ling cod but a little stiffer.
That one must've been full on adult so probably as old as I was at the time. They also have gnarly jaws and teeth that could do damage if it got a hold of you.

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 10:23:53 AM »
I caught and kept one years ago. I have always felt bad about it. They mate for life, are slow growers, and eat urchins. And they don't taste much different than rockfish.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 06:35:30 PM »
I shot one in my early days of spearfishing, it was about 5 feet long, shot him in the head and it did this crazy spin, spun the spear tip right off of the spear shaft. Dove down and found it dead at the bottom. Cooked it up and did not care for the taste. Never shot another one after that. If I cant eat it, I wont kill it.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt