collapse

Author Topic: Caspar cave dive  (Read 6104 times)

randyrhoads

Caspar cave dive
« on: August 24, 2016, 10:07:22 PM »
Last Friday me and Jason were heading back from a dive when he found the entrance to this large cave in less than 10' of water. He grabbed a few scallops out of it but couldn't get to the back. I went out yesterday and on the way in from diving I found it and checked it out. Couldn't get to the back either. It bugged me all night so this morning I got up early and took my tank out to do some cave diving exploration. Didn't go back or branch off incredibly far, but was still pretty awesome that there was this big cave you could drive a car in right in 10' of water that i've swam right by dozens and dozens of times.

I swam to the back, turned around and cut my light. Life as a human ling cod haha. At the back of the cave the force of the waves hitting the entrance was intense. Like feeling the shockwave of a very close explosion. It was so intense it was almost impossible to inhale from my regulator during the pulses. It would just cut out mid inhale. Thought it was stuck or out of air the first attempt and exited. Took a minute to realize and get used to what it was.

There wasn't much life in there minus the few scallops and dozens of jingles. After I left the cave I went shell hunting and found a GPO. Of course I finally find one out and about and i'm on scuba (Only the second time i've brought a tank out). Harassed him for a while. When he swam away a ling came out after him. For a brief moment I thought I was going to capture an ling stalking and eating an octopus on film, but I think he saw me and got a bit nervous and didn't eat it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:10:48 PM by randyrhoads »

Offline Stoney

Re: Caspar cave dive
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 11:11:02 PM »
Very cool thanks for sharing cheers!

Offline naturalSelection

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 11:24:36 PM »
Super cool video

Offline DG

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 07:17:51 AM »
So much fun playing with your food. 

I don't go in caves but always wonder if they hold the rare 12" abalone.  I was told about all the people that die in them trying to get big lobsters in so cal.  And all the caves up here Matt has already cleaned out. 

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 07:37:30 AM »
Very cool video and awesome cave and find !!!! this has to be one of the best and most entertaining vids that I have seen in awhile and love the theme music

And all the caves up here Matt has already cleaned out.

LOL

No there are still tons of good caves I have not got to.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 07:39:16 AM »
Sweet vid bro tanks!! Haha

Offline John

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 08:12:05 AM »
Awesome. I didn't know they had so much ink, that little guy put out a gallon of the stuff!
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 08:39:30 AM »
So much fun playing with your food. 

I don't go in caves but always wonder if they hold the rare 12" abalone.  I was told about all the people that die in them trying to get big lobsters in so cal.  And all the caves up here Matt has already cleaned out.

Some people aren't afraid of cave diving, for those who are scared there is a new product on the market called "Cave Shield". It hasn't been scientifically proven to work, but what is certain is that it allows you to cave dive with the confidence that the cave won't attack.  ;)

Offline the_derek

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 09:30:28 AM »
thats pretty rad
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline watersbythebay

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 10:52:50 AM »
Fantastic video, thanks for sharing! Really thought/hoped there would be something monstrous at the back of that cave

Offline DG

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 12:05:34 PM »
Thanks guys.  Cave shield sounds awesome.  Will it interfere with my shark shield or can I get an add on so I don't have to have one on each leg? 

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 12:53:39 PM »
DG, let's go diving

Offline kathy

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 02:08:51 PM »
"Some people aren't afraid of cave diving, for those who are scared there is a new product on the market called "Cave Shield". It hasn't been scientifically proven to work, but what is certain is that it allows you to cave dive with the confidence that the cave won't attack.  ;)"

If you go in the mouth of the cave....hasn't it technically already attacked you?

(cool video, thanks!)

Offline John

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 03:55:23 PM »
I made my own DIY Cave Shield using pvc and a hula hoop.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 07:14:43 AM »
"Some people aren't afraid of cave diving, for those who are scared there is a new product on the market called "Cave Shield". It hasn't been scientifically proven to work, but what is certain is that it allows you to cave dive with the confidence that the cave won't attack.  ;)"

If you go in the mouth of the cave....hasn't it technically already attacked you?

(cool video, thanks!)

I had a bug fly down my throat once while I was riding a motorcycle.  I would say that bug was definitely the aggressor in that exchange so my experience tells me Randy Rhodes is the one attacking the cave.  But maybe that's the secret, they don't know how to act if you're the aggressor so you have to swim right at them.  Or pet them on the nose like Jack.  LOL

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt