collapse

Author Topic: free diving health question?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

free diving health question?
« on: July 14, 2009, 04:04:20 PM »
   Im trying to see what everyone thinks on this one. My brother who is 15 now had open heart surgery when he was born to fix a hole in his heart. He is ok now and very active but ive been apprehensive about his interest in diving because of the pressure under water. Im having him make an appointment with his docktor to ask if he will be able to dive. What does everyone think would it be safe for him to free dive ive already told him scuba is probably out of the question. He is chomping at the bit to get in the water and he has been watching me dive since he was about 5 and this is why I want to find out and get him out with me.
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Abdvrob

Re: free diving health question?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 04:59:03 PM »
Dude, I wouldn't take anybodys word except for the DOCTORS. We can all say to you that there isn't THAT much pressure exerted on the body freediving (except for the fact that the greatest pressure change is in the first 15' of water, somebody please check me on that...) and say that it would probably be ok. BUT Im not going to say that and wouldn't recommend anybody else do that either. It may not even be a matter of pressure, but too much physical endurance on the heart. My advice, wait to see what his doctor says.

mtv_medic

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 05:30:41 PM »
Did he have his Ductos Arteriosis closed? If so he shouldn't have any problems its a relatively common issue that the body normally does itself.  Regardless the opinion of a Cardiologist is the only thing that would bring peace to my mind.

46inchwoody

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:32:09 PM »
freediving is not something to take lightly, I can't see pressure being a problem unless your going deep 20+, but your body pulles some serious shit so it can still function without air.

but still talk to the doc. before anything.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 06:51:28 PM »
I would call DAN (Divers Alert Network) They have a non emergency number you can call and ask questions.

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »
 Thanks guys the responses are excellent. No worries rob I wont take him out without the docks consent I was just wanting some feedback from some likeminded experianced divers like myself my gut says ok but ive seen some s*** happen out there and its not worth messing around. anyways thanks bros for all the help
Jason Holliday

Calif_Diver

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 09:56:49 AM »
Nor cal diver did you ever find any more info on your brother diving? I just recalled  a friend of mine in high school had the same operation when he was a young baby, he  played foot ball and was a pretty good wrestler in  school. I know every one is different, just courious if you were going to have a another dive partner .When i started scuba there was a question on the paper work, it asked if you ever had a pneumothorax(sp) or somethign like that. i didnt know what it meant so asked the instructor.It is if youve had a lung collaspe  before. Ive had  it happen , so he wouldnt let me in the class untill i had some lung capaity testing at the local hospital.

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 12:38:09 PM »
 Yea actually I just keep forgeting to post. The dock said he is all good for free diving but he was not sure about scuba because of the pressure at depth. My brother is also active and plays baseball and is a very good turf hunter so he will be joining us in the water as soon as he gets the chance.. Thanks for wondering and the feedback
Jason Holliday

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 09:34:22 PM »
Call DAN!!!! (Divers Alert Network) They are doctors who know specifically about SCUBA and the effects on body parts and stuff like that. Not even his own doctor would be as knowledgeable as the Dan Staff! Dave hit the nail on the head!
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline Kaveh

• the ocean and I get along just fine
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 10:54:35 AM »
i have a friend who was born with ear drum problems.. basically they werent formed properly and leak and when he goes in water he gets ear infections easily.. when i was in a dive store over the weekend, i saw a mask that had ear cups connected to the mouthpiece.. strangest thing i ever saw.. the guys who worked there were all busy so i didnt wait around to ask em about it, but does anyone know about this contraption? is this something i should have my friend look into? if he could dive it would actually help his marriage because his father in law and his brother in law both scuba and ab dive
diving the edible ocean since '99

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 12:46:41 AM »
What goes in the water, will get wet! Through and through! His ears will see sea water, not a doubt in my mind! But hey, as much as I love diving, I would do anything to still be able to enjoy this sport, so I know that I would try it, if that's indeed its purpose, to keep the ears dry? I've seen pictures of that contraption on ebay but never in front of my grubby little hands! Good luck if you guys try it!
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt