collapse

Author Topic: Spearing New Zealand South Island?  (Read 1797 times)

randyrhoads

Spearing New Zealand South Island?
« on: August 01, 2016, 08:41:34 AM »
Have a trip booked to north island in spring. Know it's good there seen chuck and plenty of others talk about there.

Problem is I want to BASE jump there too, and apparently there is a plethora of legal jump able objects on the South Island.

Is the spearing there ok too? Any info on charters there? This is a spearfishing trip base is a side thing. Are we far better off sticking to north? Tips please.

Thanks.

Offline divenfish

Re: Spearing New Zealand South Island?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 10:53:41 AM »
If you make it to the North island look up Joe Burke spearfishing charters. He is out of Whakatane. Even if you don't he is a great source of information.
There could be members on this list with first hand info as well ...Grummy are your here ?

Offline dank

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 04:59:18 PM »
I reached out to a Kiwi diver I met at Salt Point a couple of months ago but he hasn't gotten back to me and I don't think he's on the forum. If he does respond I'll put him in touch. Dude knew what he was doing.

Offline divenfish

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 05:33:36 PM »
Check out spearboard for some old but useful information
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=146197

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 05:40:50 PM »
I did some paua diving and spearing near Kaikoura, from shore. Super easy and I on;y scratched the surface of what's available.
Paua are the easiest because the regs are simple. Lots of lobster (crayfish) and a variety of fish which I was unfamiliar with so didn't shoot any.
Tons of opportunities.

If you're a trout fisherman, the lakes and rivers are some of the best in the world.

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 08:28:47 PM »
Sick

Offline Roberto

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 07:08:00 PM »
Greetings all, this is the said Kiwi Fulla as mentioned by Dank - got your message amigo, hope you're well! In short, the South is most definitely worth your while. The spearboard post is a good general one but slim on South Island specific. Check out on google earth centered on Kaikoura and have a look at the trench to the east - significant upwelling of highly nutrient rich water directly ex Antarctica. Tasty crayfish (spiny rock lobster, paua etc). Butterfish are a particularly fun, challenging and tasty fish to hunt - small head, fast, timid (hide in the kelp). In short yes, definitely worth your while. Marlborough Sounds, Fiordland, Stewart Island etc. Nice contrast to the blue water of the far North.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt