collapse

Author Topic: Visibility in Monterey/Carmel  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Zpearo

Visibility in Monterey/Carmel
« on: July 27, 2016, 07:16:22 PM »
Anyone been out in Monterey or Carmel the last few days? I'm wondering how visibility is now since some friends went out last week and said it was terrible.

Offline ryang85

Re: Visibility in Monterey/Carmel
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 08:38:07 PM »
I'm looking for the same info, hopefully it's better but anything over 15 feet makes me happy, been crappy up here by bodega

Offline Mk7eddie

• Black Lagoon Dive Lights
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 09:52:22 PM »
There's a lot of kelp. You can expect it to be a little lower on the visibility scale at least until the winter/spring storms.
Owner of Black Lagoon Dive Lights

Offline Gernot

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 12:01:51 PM »
usually some accurate info on viz in moterey on this site:

http://montereydivereports.com/viewreports.aspx

does anyone know whether the fire in Carmel/Big Sur affects access to butterfly house? How smokey is it? Sounds like breath holding could be problematic with lungs full of smoke...

Cheers,
G

Offline ryang85

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 12:11:52 PM »

does anyone know whether the fire in Carmel/Big Sur affects access to butterfly house? How smokey is it? Sounds like breath holding could be problematic with lungs full of smoke...

Cheers,
G
thanks for the site, reports are at 15 to 20 feet with flat ocean, and the fire deffinantly concerns me but the NW west hopefully with keep the smoke away from the north side

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 02:08:50 PM »

Cheers,
G

Thanks for the link! I just looked up the fire info and the last report I was able to find said Hwy 1 is open all along the coast, so I imagine all shore entries should be accessible. The fire map looked like the fire was still located a good way south of butterfly house, and the winds will likely keep the smoke away. If I dive around here this weekend I might stick to Monterey/PG just to be safe.

Offline JoshThor

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 02:02:05 PM »
State park property is closed to the public between point Lobos and Pfeifer state parks. The state park rangers are policing that stretch of 1 and telling people that there is no stopping in the pullouts along the coast. I talked to one ranger and he said "if they had enough cones, all the pullouts would be coned off". They want to keep the roads clear for fire trucks and equipment. The firefighters are working hard and they don't want to deal with a bunch of people pulling on and off the roads. The highway is open to traffic, but I wouldn't  expect to be able to get in the water for that particular stretch.

Offline CaExplorer

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 07:28:26 PM »
Dove several spots this past Saturday. Fairly obvious there was a fire in the area. Slightly smokey, but didn't effect the dive at all.   

Visibility near Carmel was worse than Pacific Grove/Monterey, but still what you'd expect on a decent day in the area.  15-20'.

The sun looked amazing, beautiful orange glow to it in the early morning through the haze.
Right now, you are exactly where you are supposed to be.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 08:19:33 AM »
10'

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt