collapse

Author Topic: An Easy Catch and an Unborn Fish Pizza  (Read 2612 times)

Offline dank

An Easy Catch and an Unborn Fish Pizza
« on: July 26, 2016, 04:33:43 PM »
Over the weekend my wife took me up to the Lost Coast for a couple of days for a belated birthday surprise excursion. When we got to our destination we marveled at the five Roosevelt elk that were just chilling out. That was a great way to kick things off. Then we set up our tent and took a walk on the beach. Not even twenty minutes into our walk a redtail surfperch flops up out in front of us. It was a decent size so we took it to cook that evening. It was the easiest catch of the weekend and it was fun to see the puzzled looks on the faces of the couple of surf casters that were also on the beach when they saw us with the fish but no poles or anything.

Before we even got back to our camp, juvenile fish started plopping out of the perch. First one, then another. And another. And another. And then when we cleaned it a whole bunch more, fourteen total. We grilled the fish and put the little ones in a tub with some salt for later use.

When we got back home we decided that they would be delicious on a pizza, kind of like anchovies, which we love. The result was just that. They had a very bright ocean flavor and yielded beautifully to the palate without being mushy or bony. I think I probably enjoyed them more then I did their mom. 

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
Re: An Easy Catch and an Unborn Fish Pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 06:26:51 PM »
:-)

Only an irregular dive buddy would do something like this!  Way to go, Dan.

MN

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 06:48:17 PM »
Perch anchovies are genius.  I've always popped them out on the water and watched the rockfish go nuts on them.

Offline dank

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 08:18:22 PM »
Thanks guys. This is the kind of thing that really excites me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Road Runner

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 09:16:23 PM »
Absolutely epic!!!

Offline defofthecrown

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 09:19:50 PM »
That is awesome.  Thanks for posting. 

Offline kathy

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 08:02:55 AM »
Incredible! There has got to be a better name for that pizza, though.

Offline DG

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 09:28:09 AM »
First off if a fish commits suicide in front of me I wouldn't eat it thinking it was sick.  And the little babies on pizza is just nuts but as long as you liked it that's really all that matters. 

Hope the rest of the trip was fun.

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 09:53:07 AM »
First off if a fish commits suicide in front of me I wouldn't eat it thinking it was sick.

Probably just morning sickness

Offline dank

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 10:31:56 AM »
First off if a fish commits suicide in front of me I wouldn't eat it thinking it was sick.  And the little babies on pizza is just nuts but as long as you liked it that's really all that matters. 

Hope the rest of the trip was fun.

We were pretty sure it was just the tidal action that landed her topsides. She was a nice specimen and I've seen perch get washed up like that before.

And yes, the whole trip was great! The next day when I was on the water paddling my kayak I had a bunch of dolphins swim right past me. Very cool.

Offline Amsmosh

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 02:22:18 PM »
You sir, are a culinary genius. I will need to try this sometime.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt