collapse

Author Topic: Personal Shark shield wristband  (Read 1131 times)

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
Personal Shark shield wristband
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:31:17 AM »
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Offline Malibu_Two

Re: Personal Shark shield wristband
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 09:40:58 AM »
If they really wanted to prove their product's capabilities, they would get in the water themselves rather than test it on that Weekend at Bernie's dummy. Interesting for sure, but I'd like to see more evidence that it works on great whites.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 10:29:37 AM »
My mom bought two of them for me. She was told that one on the ankle and one on the wrist was the way to best deter shark attack.

They are magnets. Their best use is probably to hold a grocery list on the fridge, or to erase the mag strip on your credit cards.

To be certain, the best way to avoid shark attack is to stay out of the water. The chance of shark encounter is extremely rare and attack even more so. If wearing shark banz or shark shield gives you piece of mind then by all means wear them. If you are really trusting your safety to a gimmick and wondering which gimmick works best, may I suggest that you come to terms with the inherent hazards of this sport and accept them.  Trying to mitigate the risk from somewhere between 1 in 11.5 million and 1 in 250 million, to half of which ever of those stats you choose, seems to be much ado about nothing.

About 5 or so abalone divers die every year from drowning, but nobody is wearing floaties.  You will enjoy yourself much more once you quit worrying about sharks.

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 10:47:41 AM »
My mom bought two of them for me. She was told that one on the ankle and one on the wrist was the way to best deter shark attack.

They are magnets. Their best use is probably to hold a grocery list on the fridge, or to erase the mag strip on your credit cards.

To be certain, the best way to avoid shark attack is to stay out of the water. The chance of shark encounter is extremely rare and attack even more so. If wearing shark banz or shark shield gives you piece of mind then by all means wear them. If you are really trusting your safety to a gimmick and wondering which gimmick works best, may I suggest that you come to terms with the inherent hazards of this sport and accept them.  Trying to mitigate the risk from somewhere between 1 in 11.5 million and 1 in 250 million, to half of which ever of those stats you choose, seems to be much ado about nothing.

About 5 or so abalone divers die every year from drowning, but nobody is wearing floaties.  You will enjoy yourself much more once you quit worrying about sharks.

If you want a gimmick that may or may not work, I have some stuff to sell...
Carpe piscem

Offline ryang85

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 12:23:40 PM »
 would be awesome if it was proven to work,  on a shark that is hauling a** upward to attack, I'm not worried about the shark that is curious but the one that is in attack mode.  in the water I usually forget the sharks and pretend they aren't there like Rob said, but on those 3 or 4 foot vis days in 30 feet of water it gets me a little jumpy every now and then.   something proven to determine sharks from a distance would make me feel better but that technology isn't available yet. for now I will just keep thinking those 1 in 250 million odds apply to norcal divers 😂

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 12:56:19 PM »
Mike,
Let me take this a bit further so I don't just sound like I'm anti whatever.

If I told you that I thought shark banz worked, would you buy them? 

If research showed that in 90% of cases shark banz worked on slow circling blue sharks but only in 30% of charging bull sharks, would you feel safe?

If the developer thinks that reactions of tiger sharks should be equivalent to reactions of GWS, would you trust him?

If statistics say that shark bite is 1 in 11.5 million and shark banz cut that to 1 in 20 million, would you relax?

No shark deterrent/repellent (or anything else for that matter) is 100%. No matter how small the odds or how many precautions you take your mind is going to doubt your safety.

Here is an interesting factoid; you are about 1,000,000 times more at risk that Matt Mattison will drive to your house and bite you for plugging Shark Banz instead of Shark Shield, than you are of having a GWS bite you.

Offline John

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 01:28:34 PM »
Would I have to remove my Power Balance bracelet or could I wear both together?
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Shark Slayer

• Every Day is a Good Day
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 05:09:21 PM »
Careful - you combine the power balance wrist band with the magnetic shark band and the ions reverse themselves to become a shark magnet....
Besides, I though it was a necklace of garlic that helped ward them off.

Offline Stoney

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 07:54:37 AM »
I just piss in my suit to repel sharks it has worked so far. In fact it works so well it repels all fish good thing those abalone don't move fast!

Offline ryang85

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 09:04:57 AM »
I just piss in my suit to repel sharks it has worked so far. In fact it works so well it repels all fish good thing those abalone don't move fast!
I can second this, I have done the same and had no shark attacks but whenever I get in shooting distance of a big fish they seems to swim off.

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 06:43:10 PM »
My post was not serious...but these answers rock! 
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt