collapse

Author Topic: Sharks Are Killing Sea Otters In California But Not Eating Them, And No One Know  (Read 7203 times)

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
I've always considered myself an environmentalist. So do a lot of the "environmentalists" around where I live who in all seriousness bitch about chemtrails. Labels - about as accurate as some news articles.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
It's 71.3% sensationalism created by those with a preservationist agenda and reported by those who have come to the realization that appealing to the doom and gloom crowd garners more attention than truth, which aligns perfectly with fact that they are too ignorant or lazy to research the subject matter on which they report.

Sharks kill otters, no news there.  Pretending that sharks killing otters could be some cryptic indicator of man made climate change killing the ocean and ultimately leading to our own extinction, stop the presses, we have a story!

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
...and reported by those who have come to the realization that appealing to the doom and gloom crowd garners more attention than truth, which aligns perfectly with fact that they are too ignorant or lazy to research the subject matter on which they report.

This is exactly what bothers me about how the DFW is portraying the "Perfect Storm."  Is there a problem? Absolutely, and it needs to be taken into consideration when forming management options. But whether it's the media, or the department which allows the media to present the doom and gloom without taking into consideration any positive trends only undermines science. To see the department act in this way is almost as scary to me as worsening environmental conditions. Why? Because if they continue to be one sided in their presentations it only reinforces the beliefs of people who today see science as little or nothing more than political theater. These are the people who come election time vote against science. We don't need more idiots on the floor of the House of representatives playing with snowballs while speaking, trying to disprove global warming. And along an admittedly tangential line, it's a bad situation when an empowered community of scientists decides to essentially ignore concerns of other scientists and the public in order to continue a questionable management regime.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:09:35 PM by Duckfoot »
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline gsharp

This is exactly what bothers me about how the DFW is portraying the "Perfect Storm."  Is there a problem? Absolutely, and it needs to be taken into consideration when forming management options. But whether it's the media, or the department which allows the media to present the doom and gloom without taking into consideration any positive trends only undermines science. To see the department act in this way is almost as scary to me as worsening environmental conditions. Why? Because if they continue to be one sided in their presentations it only reinforces the beliefs of people who today see science as little or nothing more than political theater. These are the people who come election time vote against science. We don't need more idiots on the floor of the House of representatives playing with snowballs while speaking, trying to disprove global warming. And along an admittedly tangential line, it's a bad situation when an empowered community of scientists decides to essentially ignore concerns of other scientists and the public in order to continue a questionable management regime.

You hit the button, Jack.  I work at a state agency that works with the media to promote "energy science." The current administration has almost completely subordinated science to its agenda, and that is very frightening to watch.  The world is facing a climate change situation but, at least in California, we have nowhere to turn for anything approaching a legitimate truth.  Nothing a state agency promotes is trustworthy unless verified by an external source. I am a "scientist" at the Energy Commission who used to engage in DFW hearings until I saw they were operated the same as where I work.  No "scientist" who speaks publically can be trusted to speak scientifically, because he or she is public in order to speak politically.
Glen Sharp

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
Glen,
Kind of off topic; you came to mind when I was reading this last night. I think you'd like the book. The following excerpts are from an essay by Sir Martin Rees in John Brockman's, “What Is Your Dangerous Idea?.”

“Some research has had the inside track and gained disproportionate resources; others, such as studies of the environment, renewable energy sources, biodiversity, and the like, deserve more effort. ”
“Choices on how science is applied should be the outcome of debate extending way beyond the scientific community. Far more research and development can be done than we actually want or can afford to do, and there are many applications of science that we should deliberately eschew.”

Offline gsharp

Thanks Jack. I have put this book on my list.  Given the fishery sciences issues discussed on this forum - and I have great appreciation for your contributions - I'm not sure mentioning this book is that off topic.
Glen Sharp

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Why would we start sticking to the topics now? 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt