collapse

Author Topic: Sharks Are Killing Sea Otters In California But Not Eating Them, And No One Know  (Read 7196 times)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
I can tell the water conditions are not good just by reviewing these posts.  Not science just observation and not quoted or summarized but from a mental midget perspective. 

I need to dive soon.  Shark week is melting what's left of my mind.

Dude, if you're watching shark week, you should hang your sharkshield off your tv remote.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
I can tell the water conditions are not good just by reviewing these posts.  Not science just observation and not quoted or summarized but from a mental midget perspective. 

I need to dive soon.  Shark week is melting what's left of my mind.

Best post I have seen in awhile lol

You started this shit Matt!

Offline DG

Dude, if you're watching shark week, you should hang your sharkshield off your tv remote.
Can't use the remote with it on but did put it on my TV and it makes me feel better. 

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
LOL!

I thought you were going to shock the hell out of me last week.

Offline _MikeM_

I agree with Rob.  It was my understanding that surfers in the Santa Cruz area, where otters exist, regularly saw decapitated otters, and knew how that happened.  How all of a sudden that is news is beyond me, unless DFW is making some pre-emptive political effort.

In related news, researches have observed a significant uptick in the number of attacks on environmental science articles made by outdoor enthusiasts. Since these articles typically contain very little meat, it appears unlikely that they are being intentionally targeted and consumed for their meager nutritional value. Scientists are unable to explain the aggressive behavior, but some speculate that climate change has caused an explosion in the population of bloggers, and that the increase in attacks correlates with a more general increase in the rate of encounters between recreators and sensationalized reporting.

Hilarious, well said Nick!

Offline _MikeM_

It's difficult to discern the quality of the actual research being done when the baseline quality of news reportage is so bad. Especially with everything being online, very bad news stories mingle with solid journalism. I'm not saying that the research in this case is good or bad but it would be impossible to know that based on one iffy article with a couple of cherry-picked quotes.

In my experience, this is all too true!

Offline John

70% of these statistics are made up anyway.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator

Can you verify that?

Offline CabKing65

• Cast Iron -BrautWurst Beer PoleSpear-Mako 60CM
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Yhf4PMTgw
Great if only we could put the Politicians in Otter Suits.

AKA SnowKing, 

If You want the Freedom to Dive again!  Never dive with out a Freedom Dive Knife!

Offline Abalonejoe

Wow!!! A whole column filled on one topic.... Never seen this!!

Offline ryang85

Great if only we could put the Politicians in Otter Suits.

Maby some of our tax dollars could go twords these.   

And this is what happens  when the ocean is rough all week   

But on a serious note I would like to see a little bit more formal citation of data.  I'm not sure how much I believe it. But if true, It could make a hell of a war between the the environmentalists that wouldn't be half bad to watch.Ive had many local researchers tell me that great whites populations are rising quickly, at some point I need to stop working on my zodiac and buy a shark shield. ( not only for shark week) Either way the environmentalists will always  blame us  for the ablone populations and anything they can.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:18:22 PM by ryangiammona85 »

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA

Can you verify that?
OK, it's verified. The actual number though is 71.3% news statistics are made up.  This is coming straight from The CTN published by Professor Bill Nye.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:41:46 AM by dogpaddle »
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
Either way the environmentalists will always  blame us  for the ablone populations and anything they can.

Just to clarify - There are environmentalists who rely on science, and there are environmentalists who rely on their horoscope.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline dank

Agree. Let's be careful with labels and generalizations.

Offline ryang85

Either way the environmentalists will always  blame us  for the ablone populations and anything they can.

Just to clarify - There are environmentalists who rely on science, and there are environmentalists who rely on their horoscope.
Yes I couldnt agree more,  but recently it feels like the science based environmentalist  are disappearing Like the otters, there are plenty of environmentalists who understand the ocean and push for reasonable solutions.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:32:59 AM by ryangiammona85 »

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt