collapse

Author Topic: Grilled Whole Abalone w/uni sauce  (Read 2515 times)

Offline roknroll

Grilled Whole Abalone w/uni sauce
« on: June 28, 2016, 06:47:05 AM »
I've always wanted to try a whole grilled abalone. Less work, mess, and have heard it's great. I did it last night with a thinner 8" I pulled Sunday. I also had a few urchin that were on the smaller side. I ate some uni raw but wasn't going to eat all 4 urchin.

The abalone came out fork tender and was delicious. You really taste it pure, instead of the breading/butter that can take over pan fried. I cleaned the abalone, vacuum sealed it, and left in fridge for 5-6 hours to loosen up. Then lightly pounded it whole for a few minutes taking care not to break the meat. Made garlic tarragon butter to naste it in every 7-8 mins. After grilling over low indirect heat to an internal temp of 125-130 I pulled it and sliced. Served over pasta with chives and my uni sauce.

Abalone
1 cleaned abalone
1/2 stick butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried tarragon
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper

Preheat a gas or charcoal grill on low, aiming for 300-325.

Lightly pound whole abalone for several minutes taking care not to break or split the meat. In a small saucepan combine butter, tarragon, garlic, and lemon juice. Heat over low heat until melted and cook for 1-2 minutes more.

Place abalone on a rack and put rack in a small pan or on heavy duty aluminum foil. A broiler pan with slotted tray works great. Baste abalone in the melted butter, saving butter to brush on during grilling.

Grill at 300-325 for about 30-40 minutes. Keep basting with the butter every 8-10 minutes. Cook until internal temp of abalone is 125-130 deg F. Let rest for 5 minutes then cut into 1/4" thick slices. Serve over uni pasta.

Pasta with Uni Sauce
Recipe based on Eric Ripert's Le Bernardin recipe (I skipped the blender, just used mesh strainer): http://bennydoro.com/chef/recipes/eric-ripert%E2%80%99s-sea-urchin-pasta/

Uni from 3 sea urchin
1 stick softened butter + extra
1 tbs finely minced shallot
1 tsp water
1 tsp lemon juice
3 tbs chopped fresh chives
12 oz dried fettuccini or bucatini pasta

Remove and clean uni from 2 urchin. Using your hands, mash and press the uni through a coarse wire mesh strainer. Make sure to scrape everything off the bottom of the strainer. Combine uni purée with the softened butter and set aside.

Bring a pot of salted water to boil and add pasta. Cook according to package directions.

In a small saucepan over low heat, sauté the shallots in a small amount of (regular) butter until they become translucent. Add the water and bring to a simmer. Add in the uni butter and stir continually until sauce is smooth and creamy. Don't over cook it, just enough heat to melt and combine the sauce. Slowly stir in lemon juice and add salt to taste. Sauce can be kept warm (I put it covered in 170 deg oven) for 30 minutes of more.

Drain pasta and then mix with half the uni sauce and 1 tbs of chives. Twirl the pasta into the center of 4 bowls. Spoon the remaining sauce around the edge of the pasta. Top with remaining chives and sliced abalone.

Offline Jeremy

Re: Grilled Whole Abalone w/uni sauce
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 09:02:51 AM »
Looks delicious, thanks for sharing!

I experimented once with sous vide abalone, cleaned, whole, not pounded, at 180F for 3 hours (inspired from https://www.nowness.com/story/momofuku-at-home). It was very tasty but the center was rubbery and hard to chew. Next time I'll try pounding it whole with the pant leg method, cooking at a lower temperature, and for a shorter period of time. I'm thinking 135F for an hour.

Offline roknroll

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 09:10:57 AM »
Ya 125-135 is perfect for the cooked internal temp. It's the same I use for perfect cooked sea bass, halibut, or salmon. The vacuum sealer made pounding a cinch. It keeps it tightly wrapped up and it's not slipping & sliding all over.

This was extremely tender throughout. The edges were a little firmer but not leathery. I think it was more due to it getting cooked more.

Next time I may leave more of the skirt on the abalone and trim it after grilling.

Offline dank

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 09:20:42 AM »
I've cooked abalone sous vide. It takes 36 to 48 hours if you want it to be tender but I was doing it in halves. I'm sure with slices you could reduce that cook time but I'm not sure by how much.

Offline John

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 09:31:55 AM »
I'm trying that uni sauce. Thanks!
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline DG

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 10:04:40 AM »
Interesting method.  Fork tender sounds good. 

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 10:42:24 AM »
Sounds amazing.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt