collapse

Author Topic: Is this going to be a big enough boat  (Read 2999 times)

Offline toftedal1

• Dive safe and have fun.
Is this going to be a big enough boat
« on: June 23, 2016, 02:46:22 PM »
So I've been looking at buying a dive boat and found a great deal on a 11' zodiak with 20hp motor with trailer for $1500. My main question is will that be a big enough boat to handle are ocean conditions here on the north coast any input would be amazing thank you.
Tyler
Dive safe

Offline 123ENGINEERING

Re: Is this going to be a big enough boat
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 06:52:49 PM »

I have 12' Zodiac RIB Yatchline (YL 340DL) with 30hp engine/ w. console.  My boat can handle total 2 people with gears comfortably and 3 people tightly.  I  would not go out during rough conditions but during calm days it would be fine.

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 10:30:54 PM »
I've done some tank diving and freediving off an 11' zodiac. It's good with two people. Gets tight with three.

Put a hydrofoil on it and you're good to go.
Carpe piscem

Offline AquaManIvan

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 07:44:45 AM »
I have an 11' SIB Zodiac with 15hp 2 stroke. It dives 2 very comfortably, 3 is doable but tight. It handles rough conditions surprisingly well and is quite stable. Id say, if its rough, choose wisely if its worth going out or not. If you find yourself out there in rough conditions make sure you're wearing wet-suits just in case things go south. VHF Radio is a must. I'll confidently head 6-7 miles up or down the coast with 2 people on a nice day.

Offline toftedal1

• Dive safe and have fun.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 11:21:45 AM »
Thanks for all the feed back

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 02:03:58 PM »
 I started out with a 12ft zodiac and it worked great but you have to chose your swell and wind wisely. It will get you started and use to driving and learning how to safely operate on our norcal coast. Eventually just like the rest of us who started out with a smaller boat you will soon grow out of it and want a bigger one. also you know what BOAT stands for right ? BOAT = BUST OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND

CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline DG

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 08:17:18 PM »
also you know what BOAT stands for right ? BOAT = BUST OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND

A 12'r is only $500 a pop, but you can just put the other $500 in savings so you are ready when you upgrade. 

Offline ryang85

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 09:05:46 AM »
 If your boat is hypolon your gunna be spending a lot less on repair and a lot more on acsessories if you treat it right. (Don't drag it on the ground even in sand!!). But depending on the motor and trailer condition you could be getting that boat for free  at that price.  Right I'm looking at a 14 foot zodiac mark 2 , gotta ask what type of fish finders do you guys like to use on these things, I know Lowrance is a good brand, but I want something reliable and not expensive. And any other setups that make life easier diving on a zodiac.

Offline AquaManIvan

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 01:35:21 PM »
Overall, Hypalon is better and more UV resistant than PVC. One benefit of PVC is that the seams are often welded not glued on name brand models in the last 10 years or so. This greatly decreases the tendency for seams to come unglued after 10-15 years. Overall, for smaller boats PVC (if seams are welded) may be actually better and cheaper choice if the boat is kept out of sunlight during storage.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 04:07:40 PM »
Overall, Hypalon is better and more UV resistant than PVC. One benefit of PVC is that the seams are often welded not glued on name brand models in the last 10 years or so. This greatly decreases the tendency for seams to come unglued after 10-15 years. Overall, for smaller boats PVC (if seams are welded) may be actually better and cheaper choice if the boat is kept out of sunlight during storage.
The early  90s pvc zodiacs weren't  welded seams on making a some problems. But the newer pvc is welded.

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 06:34:59 PM »

Offline ryang85

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 11:55:01 PM »
Wanted to take my recently purchased 14 footer out yesterday on Tomales.  In the afternoon there has been a lot of wind so I kept my bucket of rocks up in the bow to keep the bow down.  But deffinantly wasn't a pleasurable ride home  in 20 knot wind.  Avoid wind at all cost and if so ALWAYS  have a person or weight as far up on the bow as possible,  usually at least 50 pounds.   It's best do the same as kayaks and head north on an iffy day so if conditions worsen you don't fight the swell home

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast