collapse

Author Topic: Freedive Recovery Vest  (Read 10607 times)

Offline Joshua R.

Re: Freedive Recovery Vest
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2016, 06:17:09 AM »
provided Pat wasn't wearing a remotely operated FRV himself.

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 10:47:24 AM »
I went out diving with my Australian buddy Andrew yesterday and he loaned me his FRV to try out.

I was very impressed with how much I didn't notice it while diving...and how it didn't get in my way or restrict movement while paddling and jumping in and out of the kayak.

Was also super easy to take off at end of day and store inside hull of kayak for paddle back in and landing.

We were staring at sand so didn't get a chance to try it out hole hunting but will be doing that next time I dive with Andrew.

:)

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 01:48:08 PM »
Your opinion doesn't really count Jim.

The guys put 90lbs of cobble stones in your kayak and you towed Harold a quarter of the way to pescadero Rock and you didn't really notice. You could probably dive with the FRV inflated.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2016, 01:49:06 PM »

The guys put 90lbs of cobble stones in your kayak and you towed Harold a quarter of the way to pescadero Rock and you didn't really notice. You could probably dive with the FRV inflated.

rob has a point :)

But, please give us your report on the vest.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline DG

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2016, 03:01:27 PM »

So true. 

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2016, 03:48:26 PM »
LOL!!

You guys crack me up.

:D

I don't know if it was 90lbs...but it was Harold AND Charlie AND Nathan that I towed...  :'(

Great "friends" I have.  >:(

;)

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2016, 08:22:30 AM »
I need to dive with Jim more

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2016, 11:08:10 AM »
LOL!!

You guys crack me up.

I don't know if it was 90lbs...but it was Harold AND Charlie AND Nathan that I towed...  :'(

;)

Sincerely,

Jim

Sounds like your the ultimate dive partner Jim. I wouldn't mind getting towed to the dive site. Do your buddies bring paddles just in case? Lol
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:09:59 AM by dogpaddle »
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2016, 11:32:19 AM »
LOL!!

You guys crack me up.

;)

Sincerely,

Jim

Sounds like your the ultimate dive partner Jim. I wouldn't mind getting towed to the dive site. Do your buddies bring paddles just in case? Lol

Now that he's pulling a trailer you don't even need a kayak.

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2016, 04:25:51 PM »
I don't foresee a problem for typical non-entry hole hunting. It has a low profile and appears to be durable. It does have straps across the chest, under the arms and a manual inflation "rip cord" that could possibly get hung up. I wouldn't recommend crawling into a cave with it or using it where there is an overhead obstruction.

I'm sure you can think of one or two people you'd recommend use it in an underwater cave.  Think hard....

Only if I had the other end of the rip cord on my hand and a good alibi.

See!  This is why I told Jjjj that safety devices should be self contained and isolated. My friends would have way too much fun with a wireless system, but then again....

Say that there was a guy formerly known as Rottie Owner who found a great dive partner, let's call him, oh I don't know, how about Don. So Rottie owner, let's call him Pat, is working his ass off to find a red that he spooked, when his partner asks what he's looking for. Pat, disregarding everything that his new friend, let's call him Rob102, has told him, tells Don that he is searching for a vermillion. Politely and seemingly helpfully Don takes a drop to try and locate said fish....  This is where our remotely operated FRV could have saved the day!  Instead of the report of a speargun being fired and Don happily surfacing with Pat's red, which coincidentally ended Pat's dive day and his usual jovial mood, Pat who was diligently performing 1U1D for Don could have observed Don's approach and line up for the shot, and simply and remotely actuated Don's FRV!  We could have all had a good laugh and Pat would have shot that Red.

Maybe Jjjj was onto something.

Actually, the real "Don" move would be to inflate Pat's FRV so Don could get a proper breath up before snaking the fish.

But, I'm not "Don", and even if I was, I would definitely claim that I shot a completely different fish in a completely different area that was only coincidentally close to and the exact size as Pat's spooked fish.

I'm not convinced that Don exists.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2016, 07:03:54 PM »
He exists Jeremy, and never tell him you have a red holed up!

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2016, 11:57:53 PM »
He exists Jeremy, and never tell him you have a red holed up!

I think I've found the secret to keeping him occupied if we ever run into each other on the water.

Offline Creatura

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2017, 04:11:29 PM »
Hate bringing up old posts in forums, but this test ever happen?  Cheers!

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »
I just got one!

Will be putting it through it's paces soon and will let you all know my experiences...

It was very easy to set depth/time limits and load cartridge etc.

The user manual and videos Terry has up are really helpful.

Price is just a little over $1k with tax/shipping and 8 cylinders.

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline DG

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2017, 02:21:16 PM »
I just got one!

Will be putting it through it's paces soon and will let you all know my experiences...

It was very easy to set depth/time limits and load cartridge etc.

The user manual and videos Terry has up are really helpful.

Price is just a little over $1k with tax/shipping and 8 cylinders.

Sincerely,

Jim
Can't wait for the reviews.  I have been out with 3 people that have one, but none actually wore it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt