collapse

Author Topic: Sichuan Chili Fish  (Read 1602 times)

Offline dank

Sichuan Chili Fish
« on: June 02, 2016, 02:39:30 PM »
This is my adaptation of a classic southwestern Chinese dish. It's great for whole fish. I used two black rockfish but one would have been enough for the two of us. I usually see this dish served by itself but I like it with noodles. Rice, obviously, would also be a good accompaniment.

It requires:
Whole fish or two
Doubanjiang (black or broad bean chili paste)
Shaoxing rice wine
Ginger, minced
Garlic, minced
Green onions, chopped, tops and bottoms separated
Fish stock (or whatever meat/bone stock you have)
Soy sauce
Sichuan peppercorns (not really peppercorns)
Rice wine vinegar
Sesame oil
Peanut oil for frying
Cornstarch

Non-essential ingredients:
Mushrooms
Plain peanuts
Whatever other vegetable you have lying around that makes sense

Do this:
Score your whole fish and marinate in the rice wine for a couple of hours or over night. Remove from wine and let dry. Lightly dust with cornstarch and deep fry in a wok (or skillet) in scorching hot peanut oil. The oil does not need to completely cover the fish, you'll turn it once. Once fried, remove the fish and most of the oil. Add the ginger, garlic, green onion bottoms, doubanjiang, soy sauce, Sichuan peppercorns and a little more of the rice wine. Fry for about half a minute or so then add the fish stock and bring to a boil. Plop the fish back in, reduce to a simmer and cook covered for about 5 minutes (this is when you would add the other stuff like peanuts or mushrooms). Remove the fish and the solids and add a little bit of the vinegar and sesame oil. Add some cornstarch slurry to the sauce to thicken. More is thicker. Get the sauce really hot then pour it over the fish and garnish with the green onion tops.

Note: I like to cook fresh noodles in the liquid after the fish comes out. Once they are done I finish the sauce.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
Re: Sichuan Chili Fish
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 04:24:57 PM »
Looks great, thanks for sharing!
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline _MikeM_

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 08:15:04 PM »
I gotta try this, it looks amazing!

Offline CaExplorer

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 06:54:44 PM »
That dish looks amazing. Thanks for clarifying about the Sichuan peppercorns (had to Google that one) and for the pro tip about using the seasoned water.

Now I just gotta shoot a fish :)

Cheers
Right now, you are exactly where you are supposed to be.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt