collapse

Author Topic: Public pool freediving appeal  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Jeremy

Public pool freediving appeal
« on: May 19, 2016, 06:41:28 PM »
Has anyone experienced / is experiencing, or successfully appealed a limitation on freediving at a local public swimming pool?

This last March, the head lifeguard at my local pool in Hayward told me to limit myself to 2 underwater laps due to safety concerns.

Just today, the same lifeguard informed me that the pool administration has decided to limit underwater laps to 1 due a recent drowning incident at an East Bay pool (the kid was reportedly resuscitated and fortunately survived--I checked the local news but didn't find anything).

I understand the need to prioritize public safety / risk mitigation, but I'm hoping that this isn't trending towards a complete ban on freediving like in Santa Barbara and New York City.

The lifeguard gave me the business card for a "Recreation Coordinator II" at the Hayward Area Recreation and Park District. I'm debating whether to mount a formal appeal arguing in favor of looser restrictions on pool freediving for the purpose of minimizing loss of life in open waters, or, to not rock the boat and be content with single laps of 25 yards.

Alternatively, I'm wondering if any fellow East Bayers are willing to form a training group to rent a pool without restrictions, perhaps on a weeknight.

For additional context, I've never attempted a PB at that pool and I train well within my limits, not once resurfacing panting or LMC'ing, and I duck dive without splashing. During my 1 year of training there, I've only encountered one other spearo/freediver (at least based on his low-volume mask and long-bladed fins).

Offline DG

Re: Public pool freediving appeal
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 08:07:39 PM »
Talk with the Fii instructors.  I think there have been some issues.  I know our local pool charges like $100 an hour to rent and they have to hire a life guard. 

It's not always the actual injured that cause them to worry but the bean counters and risk management folks who decide on if the risk of injury is to high. 

Buy a house with a big yard and build a freediving pool.  Then let others use it.  Problem solved. 

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 10:50:59 PM »
Informal exception is probably the way to go, maybe with an extra liability release and a dedicated buddy.

Offline granitedive

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 05:49:51 PM »
People have definitely blacked out and died doing underwater laps (including a guy in Santa Barbara recently I think). Hence the trepidation. I did one or two lengths at a time; tried to work on the relaxation part. Did it with a kickboard underwater and fins to add some resistance. I used to do 3 lengths slowly with fins, 1.5 minutes (a lot for me), and I would come up "shuddering" sometimes - pre-blackout probably. So their angst is not unfounded.
For what it's worth, since I joined a masters team a few years ago, I stopped doing the regular (600 yards every session) underwater laps I used to do. We still do "shooters" fairly often at team practices, and I might do 2 lengths sometimes during those. I thought my breath holds might suffer because I wasn't doing as many underwater laps. But just the overall harder workout (double the yardage of what I used to swim) has increased my breath holds.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt