collapse

Author Topic: Mouth of Tomales  (Read 4653 times)

Offline ryang85

Mouth of Tomales
« on: May 15, 2016, 06:20:41 PM »
Hello everyone.  With summer approaching I would like to attempt to shoot some halibut this year out of tomales bay. I am looking for someone who has experience diving the mouth and is crazy enough to go. I'm only a few minutes down the and have fished inside the bay for years but as I am getting more and more into diving, it seems to be the way to go.  I know people who used to shoot halibut but never make trips anymore.  Would like to try to get with someone experienced out there at some point over the summer and shoot something. 

Offline naturalSelection

Re: Mouth of Tomales
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 06:44:38 PM »
Hey there. Dove tomales twice so far with no luck yet. However I do have some limited experience there, and definitely making it a point this season to shoot a halibut there. I got a boat-in campsite on tomales point last week and didn't see halibut yet, but cleaned house on crab. Let me know if you need a buddy sometime. As long as the tide is right I'm game.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 09:08:34 PM »
will defiantly let you know when the halibut come in.  Usually in June they come in and we can dive the slack tides.

Offline ausbornhunter

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 10:03:47 AM »
Hi Everyone,

If anyone is down to go tomorrow 6/8 to Tomales Bay and is familiar with the area I am planning to check it out. Winds look good and low tide at 9 ish.

If not, I would appreciate some info on where to launch from if I am shore diving. Thanks!

Offline lawtalkingguy

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 07:19:34 PM »
The most feasible entry point to dive the mouth of Tomales Bay is from Lawson's Landing in Dillon Beach.  Do not go anywhere near it on a dropping tide unless you're an Olympic-caliber distance swimmer and you've parked a second car in Bodega Bay for the return trip.  Watch out for great white sharks.

Offline TheFlyingDutchman

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 07:07:00 AM »
There are no halibut in tomales

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Aaron Sturtevant

Offline the_derek

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 04:00:01 PM »
There are no halibut in tomales

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. just sharks and a lot of tide.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 08:49:48 PM »
Went out yesterday. 3 foot vis. PM me when conditions are good.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 02:45:43 PM »
Yes please pm me as well or post up when conditions get good out there.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline ryang85

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »
The halibut are in just gotta get some warmer water

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline ausbornhunter

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 12:57:43 PM »
When out there in July and someone saw a big one, couldn't get a shot as it was in motion and scooted off quick. Viz was good at 7-10ft, but no halibut shot.

They say it can be good through September. Has anyone been out recently. Conditions look good all around the coast this weekend, but not sure if there have been halibut taken, by spear or line, recently.

Looking to go out this Sunday (9/11).

Offline DG

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 01:55:13 PM »
When out there in July and someone saw a big one, couldn't get a shot as it was in motion and scooted off quick. Viz was good at 7-10ft, but no halibut shot.

They say it can be good through September. Has anyone been out recently. Conditions look good all around the coast this weekend, but not sure if there have been halibut taken, by spear or line, recently.

Looking to go out this Sunday (9/11).
I gave it a try a few times and even when conditions were good elsewhere it didn't necessarily translate into good conditions there. 

There are multiple tagged great white sharks that are patrolling there this time of year so many divers back off and don't try as much.

Good luck if you plan on giving it a try. 

Offline ryang85

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 08:25:57 PM »
water is far to cold on the bar now . nearly 53 degrees on the incoming today. The water was great  2 weeks ago but will have to warm back up to even have a chance of shooting one.  Also like DG said the sharks are in and they patrol that bar pretty often.   

Offline ausbornhunter

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 08:49:29 AM »
Ryang85 are you going out tomorrow? Given this new information, I am up for a spot in Sonoma.

Thanks everyone for the heads up on risk/reward for tomales. I have been jonesing to get a Hali tho...do I need to head down to SoCal or what?

Offline ryang85

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 12:28:02 PM »
 they will come back in eventually, but this year has been strange with water Temps.  I most likely  be going to hit the rocks in sonoma, weather was ok  today,  thinking either zodiac or kayak, I will let you know tonight

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt