collapse

Author Topic: Purple urchins?  (Read 5414 times)

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
Purple urchins?
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »
With all the kelp vs urchin info out there, a question comes to mind...

Do you eat the purples?  People keeps saying they are smaller, but I see huge ones all the time, the size of the Reds people rave about.  Do you eat them? I do and find they taste just fine.

Take your 35, find a way to use them and help...the kelp.
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Offline dank

Re: Purple urchins?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 10:53:13 AM »
The red ones are generally bigger and sweeter, but a good sized purple one is very good nevertheless. In fact, I've had plenty of purple urchin that is just as big and sweet as the red. The overall preference of red over purple has to do with the commercial market, where size is more important. For a recreational diver though, grab some of the bigger purple ones and see for yourself. The advantage we have is freshness. Purple or red, you won't find fresher uni than what you grab yourself. I say eat 'em!

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
I believe the big ones are all red urchins, regardless of their color. Just like black bears can be black, brown, or even white, red urchins can vary in color as well.
The little ones with shorter spines are the purple urchins. Can anyone confirm this?

Offline dank

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 01:30:06 PM »
The purple ones (Strongylocentrotus Purpuratus) turn more maroonish as they age but are still more or less purple. The red ones (Strongylocentrotus Franciscanus) get darker as they age and can appear almost black, especially under water. The purple ones can get big (although not as big as the reds) and are quite good. All the little ones we see are Purpuratus, whose population has exploded. It will be interesting to see how big they will get in coming years, especially if the kelp is slow to recover. They potentially have very long life spans (decades) but nobody lasts long without food.

Offline andrew37

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 01:51:54 PM »
I believe the big ones are all red urchins, regardless of their color. Just like black bears can be black, brown, or even white, red urchins can vary in color as well.
The little ones with shorter spines are the purple urchins. Can anyone confirm this?

What Dank said above is perfect, but yeah, the easiest way to tell them apart is the spine length. Purple urchins have shorter spines for a given test diameter than the red urchins do. Not that this really helps when you're hunting, but an old professor of mine had a rule of thumb that for purple urchins, the spine length is usually shorter than 1/2 the test diameter, whereas for reds the spine length is usually longer than 1/2 the test diameter. (http://seanet.stanford.edu/EchinoHoloOphio/index.html#S.purpuratus)

A big purple urchin can be as large as a mid-sized red, but the reds get much bigger.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:56:08 PM by andrew37 »

Offline John

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 03:55:53 PM »
In thinking about doing the urchin butter that I've read about. Anyone tried it? Usually we just crack it open, rinse the nads off in seawater and slurp them down but I don't think I could do 35 of them.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline dank

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 04:19:30 PM »
I've made the butter before, it's tremendous! It extends the life of your uni, too. In the raw state it's only going to last so long. Suspending the uni in fat and a bit of acid preserves it very well. I don't know how long exactly it would last though. I've never made a ton of it at once and it gets gobbled up quickly. The real bitch is just cleaning all of them. You need to make sure you have enough beers to finish the very messy job.

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 08:42:29 PM »
Please do not clean them at the water's edge.  The rest of us don't want to walk thru spines...
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Offline CabKing65

• Cast Iron -BrautWurst Beer PoleSpear-Mako 60CM
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Yhf4PMTgw
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 08:45:37 PM »
I use the shells for a Defensive against Bums sleeping near the fence Line.

"Just letting them dry out"
AKA SnowKing, 

If You want the Freedom to Dive again!  Never dive with out a Freedom Dive Knife!

Offline ryang85

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 09:03:14 PM »
When they dry out do the spines falloff or loose color?  I've always wanted to use them for some type of decoration, but have yet to do more than smash em underwater.

Offline John

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 09:52:20 AM »
When they dry out do the spines falloff or loose color?  I've always wanted to use them for some type of decoration, but have yet to do more than smash em underwater.

I love the skeletons but I've never figured it how to outrage them taxidermy style with the spines and the color. That would be awesome.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline ryang85

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 12:51:30 PM »
He meant like keep them looking the same way they do underwater. With spines and all.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Offline andrew37

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 02:03:20 PM »
He meant like keep them looking the same way they do underwater. With spines and all.

If you just let one dry out the spines should stay on (assuming squirrels/raccoons don't get to it), but as it dries the spines will inevitably fall flat. Urchins use a water vascular system to move, so all of those spines are hydraulically powered. Unless you can find a way to stick them in place (a little epoxy at the base of the spines), they're start to lose their muster as soon as the urchin dies.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 02:19:46 PM by andrew37 »

Offline ryang85

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 03:27:41 PM »
I'll have to experiment around with some.  Try some different methods of getting them to stay.

Offline CabKing65

• Cast Iron -BrautWurst Beer PoleSpear-Mako 60CM
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Yhf4PMTgw
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 04:47:26 PM »
Maybe Epoxy them into place and use a Satin Polyurethane stain to hold the color.   I use the poly on Abalone shells and its has done great job holding the colors in tact and even preserving some of the plant life.
AKA SnowKing, 

If You want the Freedom to Dive again!  Never dive with out a Freedom Dive Knife!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt