collapse

Author Topic: Dive Sites in Marin County?  (Read 6123 times)

Offline jmurray

Dive Sites in Marin County?
« on: April 13, 2016, 04:09:11 PM »
I just joined the forum and am pretty new to spearfishing/ ab diving, and was wondering if there are any places in Marin County to dive other than Tomales Bay. I have hear of people diving near Muir beach but the currents can get pretty intense out there. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!  :P  :D

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: Dive Sites in Marin County?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 07:08:24 PM »
We were just having a discussion about first post requests. Some folks feel pretty strongly that you shoul introduce yourself before you start asking for spots (which never really goes well anyway).

So jmurray, let be the first to say welcome aboard. Feel free to introduce yourself so we can see who you are.

As for being new and looking for spots, if you are new you should find a partner in you area with some experience and see if he or she will drag you along with them. There are people here willing to mentor divers.

Personally, I don't know much about Marin, good luck though.

Offline DG

Dive Sites in Marin County?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 07:41:39 PM »
Welcome and definitely research the areas you want to dive. Tomales and surrounding areas can be brutal to new and experienced divers so definitely post hook ups with other divers from your area or the area you want to dive.  There are a few spots up in Mendo county that are great for new divers to learn the basics before venturing into unfamiliar waters.  They are well posted on the forums so not giving out secret spots. 

There are lots of posts on here related to buoyancy, equipment, equalizing and locations.  So if you don't understand something don't go out until you do. 

If you can afford a Freedive course that would be your best and quickest way to meet other divers.  Also Matt M has meet and greets a couple times a year and there is one next month that you can attend to meet others.  There is a wealth of information  there and usually some more experienced divers will let you pick their brains. 

Have fun learning and be safe out there.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 07:43:22 PM by DG »

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 08:12:28 PM »
With a kayak I'm confident you will find some exellent spearfishing grounds. The only way to know is give it a shot.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline Amsmosh

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 09:28:31 PM »
Marin county is the last place for a new diver. The visibility is awful, it is far more open to the swell than most other areas, Plus, it is very very sharky.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 09:45:32 PM »
Marin county is the last place for a new diver. The visibility is awful, it is far more open to the swell than most other areas, Plus, it is very very sharky.

All of my spots are very very sharky too!

Lol

Offline Amsmosh

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 10:05:52 PM »

All of my spots are very very sharky too!

Lol
Im sure they are lol.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 11:39:09 PM »
I just joined the forum and am pretty new to spearfishing/ ab diving, and was wondering if there are any places in Marin County to dive other than Tomales Bay. I have hear of people diving near Muir beach but the currents can get pretty intense out there. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!  :P  :D
where do you live? Im in sausalito and wouldnt mind diviing rodeo or tenessee valley, if your up for it..... Hopefully the swells will mellow and the viz will clear

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 08:04:45 AM »
Plus, it is very very sharky.

I always take this term with a grain of salt. Also, "shark-infested" or "great white breeding ground." I've been diving in some of the "sharkiest" waters of California and have never seen a GWS.

As for the original post, Marin usually has bad viz. Go to Monterey or a place like Van Damme in Mendo if you want to practice and meet people. I have dove Muir Beach twice and didn't like it; bad viz, not much structure, etc.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 10:44:36 AM »

I always take this term with a grain of salt. Also, "shark-infested" or "great white breeding ground." I've been diving in some of the "sharkiest" waters of California and have never seen a GWS.

Well, I've seen one in one of my spots, and you can take the term with a grain of salt until you do see one on your own. But let me assure you, it's the Sharks that you don't see that are the scariest, until you see one.

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 10:56:24 AM »

But let me assure you, it's the Sharks that you don't see that are the scariest, until you see one.

Yeah, seriously.
A guy I knew in high school was ab diving near the mouth of Tomalas Bay. Suddenly he was looking down and saw these slits. The slits were attached to the fish that was shaking him in mid air. He lived.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline ryang85

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 12:26:19 PM »
My dad has an old spot that's out the sharky zone. I live in point Reyes and still drive north because its  a super long crappy hike in. But the few locals who dive it pull plenty of 10s. . The red tide did dome major damage out there but I want to give it a shot this year and am always looking for a buddy.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 01:09:24 PM »
My dad has an old spot that's out the sharky zone. I live in point Reyes and still drive north because its  a super long crappy hike in. But the few locals who dive it pull plenty of 10s. . The red tide did dome major damage out there but I want to give it a shot this year and am always looking for a buddy.

I am down to dive Marin county with you, one of my bucket list is to pull a ten from Marin county
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 04:25:33 PM »
you live in point reyes??? Do you know denise, aka butterfly girl..... Used to date her years ago...... And used to hike to mc Clures ..... I didnt dive back then.... But would now!lets make this happen!!

Offline the_derek

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 05:21:52 PM »
you live in point reyes??? Do you know denise, aka butterfly girl..... Used to date her years ago...... And used to hike to mc Clures ..... I didnt dive back then.... But would now!lets make this happen!!

Butterfly girl.... sounds interesting... go on....
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt