collapse

Author Topic: Dive Sites in Marin County?  (Read 5829 times)

Offline Abalonejoe

Re: Dive Sites in Marin County?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 07:30:07 PM »
Never hung out in point reyes station?.....the old western is one of the oldest bars in Marin..... Tons of tatood girls from the dairy farms hang there get drunk and as roman would say...."perfect""" ..... At least gor us single players!

Offline ryang85

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 09:35:27 PM »
My dad has an old spot that's out the sharky zone. I live in point Reyes and still drive north because its  a super long crappy hike in. But the few locals who dive it pull plenty of 10s. . The red tide did dome major damage out there but I want to give it a shot this year and am always looking for a buddy.
you live in point reyes??? Do you know denise, aka butterfly girl..... Used to date her years ago...... And used to hike to mc Clures ..... I didnt dive back then.... But would now!lets make this happen!!

haha I don't know her all to well. I have met her a few times,  but I think my mom used to work with her years ago at a resurant in town.  And the towns changed a lot, old dairy girls arnt around too much because the tourist flood the town. The western is still up and running and I hear plenty of stories from way back when about crazy Sh*t that's happened there.

And honestly vis is total hit and miss. It has to be dead flat with a short swell period and it can be awesome.  From the salmon guys today it was 15 + offshore with water temp upwards of 57  but a nasty ground swell was hitting the beach and do doubt mudding up the water. If anyone has ever dove heart attack it is similar structure to that and vis can change in minutes.  And  diving the mouth of Tomales is basically suicide after July. I have seen plenty of sharks hit seals too  damn close to the boat and know people who have plenty of encounters. But There's a few protected reefs up by 10 mile that are only in the 20ft range but have good abs because everyone heads up the coast. 

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 02:27:43 PM »
I used to dive Point Reyes some 30 years ago. I heard it was sharky so I stopped. It was closed south of Chimney rock and we would dive north of it. Not sure what is open nowadays. Pulled 8" abs and saw a black ab near shore.

Offline ausbornhunter

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 02:31:01 PM »
Is anyone still down for Marin County dives? I would be interested in checking out Muir Beach, Tenesee Beach....I hear its good for Halibut on H&L. The nautical charts show that is mainly 30 feet at the point and then around 5-20 in side the cove. However, I am guessing the poor viz most of the time makes this near impossible to get the butts on spear. Only one way to find out.

Ryang85 sorry I didn't make it with you on Sunday, some friends dove around HMB and came up on good lings and MFEs would be interested to take a look there sometime, not a bad distince at 30 miles from Saus.

Conditions look like a really calm swell and winds leading up to Sat and then it picks up on Sunday. PM me if anyone needs a buddy this week.

AbaloneJoe I am also located in Sausalito.

Offline Amsmosh

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 03:06:28 PM »
Hey man, I would love to dive Marin sometime but not this time of year. The Great white sharks are back in the area and will be for a little while now. The entire marin county coastline has a higher population of them than areas to the north such as sonoma or mendocino county. This is the time of year when I really try to avoid spots that are notorious for having great whites. There will be time in the spring.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline ausbornhunter

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 11:55:14 AM »
Hey man,

For sure lets do it soon when the landlord leaves, but I mean I am surfing these spots this time of year as well...wouldn't that be the same risk?

Offline ryang85

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 09:18:33 AM »
 next spring I will be making a few trips,

Offline Amsmosh

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 09:52:01 AM »
Hey man,

For sure lets do it soon when the landlord leaves, but I mean I am surfing these spots this time of year as well...wouldn't that be the same risk?
You look just like a greatwhite prey when you are bobbing on the surface breathing up.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline Rick

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 11:41:23 AM »
Ariel is just trying to keep you off his spotz. Don't listen to that guy.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt