collapse

Author Topic: waste not  (Read 3165 times)

Offline dank

waste not
« on: April 12, 2016, 10:50:58 AM »
One of the things I love about this sport is being able to fully respect the fish we take. You get to look it in its eyes and acknowledge it before putting a spear through its head. To further give gratitude to the fish, as well as get the most food out of it, I don't like to waste any part of it.

After processing, I'll collect the heads and carcasses and make fish stock. Simply put it all in a pot (no guts though, save that for the bait bag), cover with water, bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer and let it go for about 45 minutes to an hour. Fish stock doesn't take as much time as stocks made from terrestrial animals.

The result is pure fish gelatin; very nutritious and versatile. The batch pictured was made from three lingcod and as you can see it's completely solid after it cools. We used it for fish and abalone chowder on Sunday and later this week we'll make broth for soup or hot pot or some such thing. I was able to pick through the boiled bits in the stock pot and retrieve enough nugs for the fish element of the chowder.

I usually freeze a little for later and also put some in smaller containers for other uses such as deglazing pans or enriching sauces. Making stock stretches out your catch and gives the fish the respect and it deserves. 

Offline Yowlie

Re: waste not
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 11:17:30 AM »
Thanks!  Been putting off trying that.

Offline DG

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 12:35:41 PM »
Not against it but just haven't tried it.  For now I burry the heads and it makes wonderful fertilized soil for growing things.  And some would be crab bait but it still hasn't opened up north. 

Offline dank

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 01:01:21 PM »
I used to compost all of my fish waste when I was able to compost. I hate having to throw away all of the stuff I used to compost. Great for soil.

Offline Rick W

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »
Mmmmm. Love it.

I make stock almost every time I get a big haul. Cook with carrots, yellow onions (leave the skin on if they're clean for more color), celery and bay leaves. Add salt and peppercorns.

MFE leaves a funny taste, and I don't use perch. Ling & cabs are the best because of the connective tissue in the large heads. Rock fish is great too.

Skim the stock as you cook it to remove the coagulated floaty stuff and your stock will be a lot clearer.

I freeze in 4-6 cup batches flat in Ziplocs so they stack in the freezer. Mark the date you made it with a Sharpie.

Simple Soup Recipe  :P

Saute diced onions, fennel  and garlic with saffron or a little turmeric.

Optional: a little red pepper flake.

Add large can chopped tomatoes. you can add a little balsamic if the tomatoes are too sweet.

Add stock

Add a little ouzo

simmer and season until flavor is what you want.

Serve with croutons.
There are no bad days at the beach.

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 01:38:47 PM »
Awesomeness. Love using as much of the fish as possible.

Here's a soup recipe I posted awhile back:

http://spearingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5292

:)

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline chopper

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 03:38:30 PM »
I've been making fish stock for a few years now. It's so convenient to have on hand. I often use it to make a spicy Southwest fish stew. Trader Joe's has been carrying processed hatch chilis that are the key ingredient.

Combine fish stock with some onions, carrots, celery and potatoes for the soup base. Add a can of rinsed pinto beans and a can of tomatoes and I use about half a pack of the chilis per batch.  Let this simmer together and season to taste.

When the soup is ready I cube up the filets (ling and cabezon hold up great for this) an then poach until done. If the stock is already made the whole dish comes together in under 30 minutes easy. So tasty.

Beware, the batches of chilis I've picked up at TJs carried a pretty good spice kick -- it's a nice heat that starts off low and builds as you eat it.

Enjoy,
Brad

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 03:55:53 PM »

MFE leaves a funny taste

I'm still relatively new in Cali waters. What does MFE stand for?

I'll have to try making fish stock! I usually discard guts and carcass into the green bin since I don't have a yard. Good thing green bin pickup is on Tuesdays in my neighborhood because the scraps create a decomp smell that even a thick dusting of diatomaceous earth won't fully absorb. I imagine that cooking will also soften the bones and spines, which usually poke holes through the composting bags, letting out foul gasses.

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 04:09:31 PM »

MFE leaves a funny taste

I'm still relatively new in Cali waters. What does MFE stand for?

MonkeyFaceEel.

Even though they really aren't eels but actually part of the prickleback family...they look like an eel and everyone calls em eels.

http://www.sfgate.com/restaurants/article/Monkeyface-eel-becoming-a-star-on-dinner-platters-3371280.php

They are herbivorous as adults so often have a belly full of retting kelp/algae...I gut em asap to get the stinky rotting stuff away from the meat.

I'm a fan of their but not everyone is.

:)

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 09:08:27 PM »

MonkeyFaceEel.

Thanks BigJim. Now I remember watching a Harbor House Life video of bamboo pole fishing for these in tide pools.

I imagine this species is also affected by the thinning kelp beds.

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 05:50:05 AM »
Tom hua pa.... Lao fish head soup. Works great for cab and ling heads!!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt