collapse

Author Topic: A word on broiling whole  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Yowlie

A word on broiling whole
« on: December 30, 2015, 11:31:24 AM »
I have recommended broiling fish whole a number of times.  I take it all back.  That is too hot for a whole fish unless it is pretty small.  Broiling is still an excellent way to cook ling or salmon, but only fillets.  My cabezon had been coming out too chewy on the outside.  I tried baking a 20 incher last night with large diagonal slits cut parallel about every 4 inches down the sides.  350 degrees for maybe 40 minutes(I'm sure 300 would be fine).  I kept checking to see if a very thin knife could poke into the deepest meat with no resistance.  It was so much better than broiled cabezon.  I removed all the meat, plated it into a big circle, drizzled with a little olive oil, and sprinkled with parsley and capers.  We ate with fresh avocado.  Next time, I will do avocado slices interspersed with the meat radiating from the center, and you can put lemon wedges or tapenade, or potatoes in the middle.  This reminded me why I often thought cabezon was the best eating fish, and why I don't want to steam the flavor out of it.  The meat has its own fantastic salty flavor and needs no seasoning at all.

OT it looks like NCKA is down:  did the server crash when Adam415 tried to post all his DOTY fish???? ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:24:03 PM by yowlie »

Offline Amsmosh

Re: A word on broiling whole
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 12:07:05 PM »
Got a picture of that dish?
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 12:40:28 PM »

Not this time.  We didn't know how well the avocado was going to go with the fish, but it was great.  So next time I will add the slices to the serving plate and take some shots . . . .   I should add that if a whole fish is flat enough, broiling would be OK, but it should probably be flipped . . . .

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 09:35:12 PM »

Not this time.  We didn't know how well the avocado was going to go with the fish, but it was great.  So next time I will add the slices to the serving plate and take some shots . . . .   I should add that if a whole fish is flat enough, broiling would be OK, but it should probably be flipped . . . .

Bad form to flip the fish. You'll flip your boat the next time your out. Common practice is to flip the broiler instead.

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 07:50:39 PM »
As promised, here are some pics of this dish.  The fish was taken out of the fridge, covered lightly in olive oil and salted, and slit diagonally on the sides.  It was then baked at 375 for 45 minutes (6lb fish not room temp.). When you remove the pan to let it cool, throw a piece of foil over the top.  I use street taco size tortillas heated up in bacon grease.

Offline CabKing65

• Cast Iron -BrautWurst Beer PoleSpear-Mako 60CM
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Yhf4PMTgw
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 09:05:18 PM »
Ah man, I will give it a GO!
AKA SnowKing, 

If You want the Freedom to Dive again!  Never dive with out a Freedom Dive Knife!

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 09:00:01 AM »

Offline ryang85

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 09:06:37 PM »
Usually keep to the panko bred crumbs and oil but that looks awesome. Defiantly on the menu for the next trip.  All I need now is for this 10 foot swell do ease up for a weekend.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 07:37:55 AM »
So do you just eat the worms in the fish or do you pick them out after its cooked? My family started to complain about my fish balls after they started discovering worms in them. So now I always filet the fish just so I can take the worms out. Sure looks super good though. Do you eat the skin?
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 09:06:45 AM »
So do you just eat the worms in the fish or do you pick them out after its cooked? My family started to complain about my fish balls after they started discovering worms in them. So now I always filet the fish just so I can take the worms out. Sure looks super good though. Do you eat the skin?

I tend to find very few of the coiled short worms (anisakids) in the flesh of cabezon.  I do find a lot of the long white filaments in the fins and gills.  I assume these are a type of roundworm.  When you broil, you can plate the meat pretty selectively and leave those long white filaments in the pan. 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt