collapse

Author Topic: floatline vs reel  (Read 1282 times)

Offline rlg239

floatline vs reel
« on: April 05, 2016, 10:39:05 PM »
Hey all,
I feel like this is something that may vary depending on what depth, visibility and area you are working but what are the pros and cons of flatline over reel and vise versa for CenCal-NorCal? Under what conditions would you switch and why? If this is a stupid question feel free to ream me but I have been contemplating and trying both. Hopefully guys with far more experience wouldn't mind weighing in.
-Robert

Offline DG

Re: floatline vs reel
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 11:09:28 PM »
Seems like more experience divers go with reels.  A lot more freedom moving around.  Might try if I lived where visibility was more like so cal but I don't. 

I like dragging my float line around so others can see my general location.  I love the option to drop my gun if it gets tangled or caught in kelp.  I haven't tried a reel yet but am so used to just dropping my gun that I think if I went with a reel I would lose a gun the same day.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 11:10:24 PM »
All of my pipe guns have reels. Any gun for reef hunting should have a reel if you are skilled/careful enough not to drown yourself in your own line.

I also have a spectra loop with a small tuna clip on the handles of my guns so I can attach a Floatline if it's murky or if I'm using it to mark holes or as an abalone marker.

It's not an either/or thing. You should be set up for whatever conditions you are diving in.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 07:50:48 AM »
Rob summed it spot on !!!!!
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt