collapse

Author Topic: Abalone rock pickng avice  (Read 1724 times)

Offline calisports510

Abalone rock pickng avice
« on: May 05, 2016, 02:20:01 PM »
Hello, I have never been free diving and am not going diving without knowing what I'm doing or without someone who does. I am planning on taking a free diving and abalone diving class but in the mean time I'm going up to The Sea Ranch with my family for a week and am really interested in going rock picking I just need some tips and info about minus tides and areas abalone can be found at really low tide and when minus tides happen. I also have a 7mm wet suit someone gave me a couple years ago that I can use to bear the cold water at minus tide and ill also be going rock picking with my friend who is coming up there with us who is a newbie to so I'll  have someone with me.

Offline Joshua R.

Re: Abalone rock pickng avice
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 03:19:01 PM »
I teach the ab diving class for Kelis ocean sports in concord. I'll PM you my number.

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 03:25:57 PM »
Get trained and be prepared. Rock picking can potentially be more dangerous than ab diving.

Offline DG

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 03:32:48 PM »
Class is a good start.

When you get out there watch from the shore for awhile and look at the spot you plan on looking for abs at for at least 10 minutes.  Waves come in sets and even in spots where nothing is happening a few minutes later there may be some bigger waves come through.  I see people get themselves into dangerous spots all the time and that's how people get thrown into rocks or sucked out to sea without warning.  You have a better chance with a wetsuit but sea ranch area can be a rough place and is not as protected as other spots so pick your entry and exit carefully. 

A float tube is great for stuffing abs and gear into but helps to hang onto if you need a break or get into a place you want out of. 

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 04:28:07 PM »
I am certainly in favor of taking a freedive class, but until one is comfortable in the water I doubt they would pass.

I would suggest whichever route you take, rock picking or diving, you start by being taught or mentored until you are comfortable and capable. Some people put their face in the water and decide it's not for them.

Taking Josh up on his offer to take you out for an abalone class is a great first step. You won't find a better person for the job. From there, if you want to try a freedive class Red Triangle Spearfishing offers FII classes.

Offline Lokumoto

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 09:04:19 PM »
Take the freediving course as it will help in the future. Always be aware of your surroundings and how often the waves come in. When I was younger, I was not paying attention to my surroundings and got hit by a wave while on some rocks, which caused me to slip on the rocks and ended up with some broken ribs. Also, it's best that you have a partner when you go in order to keep each other safe if someone needs help. Rock picking can be fun and be provided a fruitful endeavor, stay safe and if you feel uncomfortable, then stop and reassess the situation. Rock picking can be very shallow, as I go with a friend that does not even get his head wet, and he stays mostly dry when he rock picks. My father rock picks and dives, and he uses his freediving skills to help rock pick as sometimes he is getting his abs in 3 feet of water but he is laying down reaching into deep holes.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt