collapse

Author Topic: Hawaii dive trip (Big Island) - advice and recommendations needed  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Zpearo

One of my friends just moved out to Hawaii so I'm going to be going on my first spearfishing trip to clear, warm waters! Stoked to go, but I need some advice on... well, lots of things.

The trip will be Jan 29-Feb 4 and I'm staying on the east side of Big Island, but should be able to get around anywhere on the island. Anyway, my questions for now are:

• What length gun do I need? I've got a 100cm Rob Allen that I assume will work fine.
  • What kind of license do I need? The Hawaiian DNR site (http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dar/licenses-permits/) doesn't seem to list one for recreational fisherman or divers unless you are in a vessel.
  • Will anyone else be out there (or have friends there to put me in touch with) so I can have a dive buddy?
  • How is the fishing on the Big Island? Should I take a trip to one of the other islands or will I be fine there?
  • Is shorediving easy/safe there? Should I rent a kayak? Should I get a charter? I'd rather not dump a ton of money, but I also do want to shoot some fish.
  • Does anyone want to recommend some spots that have safe entry and hold some fish?

Any help here is appreciated. I can't wait for this trip!

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator

Offline Ptown707

Re: Hawaii dive trip (Big Island) - advice and recommendations needed
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 08:32:31 PM »
Was just there in November, you do not need a license even as a visitor.
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline Stoney

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 08:49:08 PM »
No shooting the humahumanukanukapoha or something like the Hawaii state fish ;-)

Offline LiveAlohaKris

• Know your limits, but never accept them
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 09:17:23 PM »
A bigger gun and a breath hold of at least 3 minutes! Just kidding. Your 100cm will do, I love using my 100 in Hawaii. Although a 110-130 would be better. Like Randy said the fish are skittish and smart. You don't need a fishing license, but just take what you can eat, you know common sense stuff. Shore diving is really easy there just make sure you talk to the lifeguards/locals about the area you are planning to dive. The currents rip hard out there so be careful and use your best judgment. There are charters that you can take out too like rob pointed out if your willing to spend the extra money.

Check out my little article on reef hunting in Hawaii and let me know if you have any questions!

Kris

http://www.redtrianglespearfishing.com/blogs/news?page=3

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 12:58:48 PM »
Hey everybody, thanks for all the info!

Randy, what size gun would you recommend? I'm planning to build a gun for fun, and might as well size it for this trip and see if I can finish it in time.

Rob, thanks for the link for BWH. I was planning to stop by there if I needed to rent any gear based on some other posts I've seen in the forums. Didn't know they also did charters.

Kris, article was a good read. I'm bookmarking it so I can come back to it closer to the trip. Sounds like I don't need to do a charter to get a few fish. I don't feel the need to go for monsters yet, so just a few fish for dinner will be plenty for me.

One more question, should I bother with a wetsuit out there? I've got a 5/4 surf suit that I assume would cook me. I could probably borrow a 3mm from a friend if I need one.

Offline DG

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 01:10:05 PM »
Luke,

Sounds like an awesome trip you are planning.  Keep us posted on how it turns out.  Over the next couple of years I plan on hitting Hawaii, Mexico and Alaska for different adventures so also taking notes on what others have found. 

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 01:20:36 PM »
I'll be sure to post some pictures and videos along with my report. Mexico will probably be coming this summer for me as well I think. Very excited to start some warm water diving!

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 03:03:24 PM »
Here's what I do;
3mm suit, you will get cold in anything less.
Dive watch, repetitive, long aspetto's can lead to SWB.
Mask with tinted lenses, the fish don't like to be stared at.
120cm gun, the longer the gun the better your range on skittish fish. 120 is still manageable.
Float and flag, it's the law in Hawaii.
100 foot float line, you have to be within 100 feet of your flag.
Small anchor, keeps your float from drifting away and allows you a free hand to hold on to the reef in the current.
Kiu, keep fish on your waist or float, I recommend the float.
Knife, keep your catch from thrashing, make burly.
Gloves, coral, urchin, eels, you need gloves.
Three prong, useful for tako diving.

Most important, a dive buddy.

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 03:27:13 PM »
Here's what I do;
3mm suit, you will get cold in anything less.
Dive watch, repetitive, long aspetto's can lead to SWB.
Mask with tinted lenses, the fish don't like to be stared at.
120cm gun, the longer the gun the better your range on skittish fish. 120 is still manageable.
Float and flag, it's the law in Hawaii.
100 foot float line, you have to be within 100 feet of your flag.
Small anchor, keeps your float from drifting away and allows you a free hand to hold on to the reef in the current.
Kiu, keep fish on your waist or float, I recommend the float.
Knife, keep your catch from thrashing, make burly.
Gloves, coral, urchin, eels, you need gloves.
Three prong, useful for tako diving.

Most important, a dive buddy.

Great advice, Rob! I'll see if I can get a 120+ gun built in time or borrow one. Otherwise I'll see what I can do with my 100cm.
For the float, are there regulations on float size, buoyancy, color, etc or just anything that I can attach a flag to?

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 04:10:46 PM »
I'm sure Matt at Red Triangle Spearfishing can hook you up if you want a 120.

The float doesn't need to be any particular size. I use an inflatable because I can roll it up and pack it in my luggage. If you go out blue water your guide can outfit you.

You can probably buy lead there.

Offline Scallop shooter

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 04:37:05 PM »
 Save some money and buy the float and such over there,they know exactly what you need. You can leave it with your buddy for future trips.
Chuck
Stay calm and dive on

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 05:25:12 PM »
I'm sure Matt at Red Triangle Spearfishing can hook you up if you want a 120.

The float doesn't need to be any particular size. I use an inflatable because I can roll it up and pack it in my luggage. If you go out blue water your guide can outfit you.

You can probably buy lead there.

If I don't get mine built in time that's probably going to be the solution for my gun. Do you have any recommendations for an inflatable float? I just did some quick looking and figured something like this would be good. Will definitely buy lead there.

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 05:55:49 PM »
Update: My flights require me to transfer through Honolulu anyways, so it looks like I'm going to spend a couple days spearing there as well probably. This trip keeps getting better!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt