collapse

Author Topic: Long Fin kick technique  (Read 5185 times)

Offline CabKing65

• Cast Iron -BrautWurst Beer PoleSpear-Mako 60CM
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Yhf4PMTgw
Long Fin kick technique
« on: December 07, 2015, 12:03:11 AM »
Been out for a few months from a lower back injury. Finally been able to kick around the pool.   I have been working on my Long Fin kick technique and was wondering if any one had any input on technique 's.  Target depths is no more than 40 feet. My left ankle is sore from an old baseball injury back in 2004 but its getting alot stronger now.

Did some online research and alot of websites said that the

"Toes should be pointed and the legs should have a slight bend to them."

Also " Straight knees and kick from the hip. "
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:27:29 AM by CabKing65 »
AKA SnowKing, 

If You want the Freedom to Dive again!  Never dive with out a Freedom Dive Knife!

Offline LiveAlohaKris

• Know your limits, but never accept them
Re: Long Fin kick technique
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 11:34:27 AM »
There are a lot of factors that come into play when your trying to improve your kicking technique for example leg strength, type of fin (carbon, fiberglass, plastic, soft, medium, hard), body position, etc. Your knees should have a slight but natural bend in them and yes always kick from your hips. Pointing your toe means lifting your big toe during your forward kick which will help you with pigeon toe. You  want to have nice, wide, even kicks. Don't power through your kicks let the fin do the work and that should improve your kicking technique. Hope this helps!

Offline underwater1

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 11:47:35 AM »
Been out for a few months from a lower back injury. Finally been able to kick around the pool.   I have been working on my Long Fin kick technique and was wondering if any one had any input on technique 's.  Target depths is no more than 40 feet. My left ankle is sore from an old baseball injury back in 2004 but its getting alot stronger now.

Softer carbon fins are going to be easier on your back.  The slow natural rhythm / tempo range you will have access to will be somewhat dependent on your fins.  The super long fiberglass Captain Nemo fins I used to use allowed me a very slow cadence kick that was powerful and I used to scoot with them.  The medium stiffness Bleu Tec carbons I have now are way easier on my back and hip.  Yet, they are not as powerful doing a super slow cadence dolphin kick the way the Nemos were.  I am very happy with the trade off that the carbons give me.  I don't dive as fast when using a slow cadence kick.  Yet, my body is not punished as much and I have less back and hip pain now.  40-50 feet is not a problem for me with the medium stiffness Bleu Tecs using a slow cadence dolphin kick.

Take care of yourself.

Cheers,

Tom 

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 12:57:39 PM »

Softer carbon fins are going to be easier on your back.  The slow natural rhythm / tempo range you will have access to will be somewhat dependent on your fins.  The super long fiberglass Captain Nemo fins I used to use allowed me a very slow cadence kick that was powerful and I used to scoot with them.  The medium stiffness Bleu Tec carbons I have now are way easier on my back and hip.  Yet, they are not as powerful doing a super slow cadence dolphin kick the way the Nemos were.  I am very happy with the trade off that the carbons give me.  I don't dive as fast when using a slow cadence kick.  Yet, my body is not punished as much and I have less back and hip pain now.  40-50 feet is not a problem for me with the medium stiffness Bleu Tecs using a slow cadence dolphin kick.

Take care of yourself.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom,

Which line of Beutec blade and which stiffness label do you use?  Their website write-ups are transalated and incoherent . . . .

Offline DG

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 06:25:55 PM »
Yowlie,

Matt over at Red Triangle knows everything there is to know about those fins.  I ended up getting a pair and have loved them.  I think mine are stiffer but I am a big boy so they work great for me. 

Cabking,

Hope you feel better.  The water is rough but getting really clear.  Hope the pain resides enough for you to dive again soon.  I deal with chronic pain and usually the cold water helps.  I was considering getting one of those weight vests to get some of the wait off my belt.  I have heard good things about them just haven't tried it yet. 

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 07:01:18 PM »
I was considering getting one of those weight vests to get some of the wait off my belt.  I have heard good things about them just haven't tried it yet.

I occasionally look at vests but have yet to find anything I feel would ditch as quickly as a belt. If you know of anything please let me know.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline underwater1

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 09:04:54 PM »

Take care of yourself.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom,

Which line of Beutec blade and which stiffness label do you use?  Their website write-ups are transalated and incoherent . . . .

Bleu tec Spearo Medium stiffness. So, this fin comes in three stiffness options.  I chose the one in the middle and am satisfied with it.  The softest ones would have been too slow for me.  The stiffer ones might have caused fatigue after many hours.  The middle ones are just right:)

Cheers,

Tom
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:12:47 PM by underwater1 »

Offline Rick W

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 08:24:24 AM »
I was considering getting one of those weight vests to get some of the wait off my belt.  I have heard good things about them just haven't tried it yet.

I occasionally look at vests but have yet to find anything I feel would ditch as quickly as a belt. If you know of anything please let me know.

I split my weight between a vest and a belt. If I dump the belt I'm positive, but the rest of the time it's nice to have everything distributed.

There are no bad days at the beach.

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 07:16:44 AM »

I split my weight between a vest and a belt. If I dump the belt I'm positive, but the rest of the time it's nice to have everything distributed.

Yeah - I've considered that but if I ditch weights I'll want them all off. I've seen some harnesses that I've been told drop quickly but I'm not convinced. Still open to ideas.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 07:38:19 AM »
Has anyone tried the Seasoft Free Diving Vest? It's a backpack with a weight dump quick release on the shoulder strap.

I'm wondering what it'd feel like with all the weight concentrated near the core vs. lower back.

http://www.seasoftscuba.com/free-diving-vest.html

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 10:27:32 AM »

I am thinking of giving this one a try, I have heard nothing but good things about it from the guys I know that use it. I agree it would be nice to get the weight more in the middle of the back instead of on the hips.
I am thinking of giving this one a try, I have heard nothing but good things about it from the guys I know that use it. I agree it would be nice to get the weight more in the middle of the back instead of on the hips.
http://www.redtrianglespearfishing.com/products/bleutec-scienalino-weight-vest-with-8lbs-weight

CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 11:53:52 AM »
Has anyone tried the Seasoft Free Diving Vest? It's a backpack with a weight dump quick release on the shoulder strap.

I'm wondering what it'd feel like with all the weight concentrated near the core vs. lower back.

This looks interesting, but it is clearly not designed for diving in kelp.  Buckles, straps, D-rings . . . . 

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 12:54:40 PM »

I use the checkmates. They are great on my back.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 12:56:54 PM »

I have that vest. I don't like it. I lost weights before, and I had to wear ankle weights to keep myself ballasted correctly.

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 09:49:26 PM »

This looks interesting, but it is clearly not designed for diving in kelp.  Buckles, straps, D-rings . . . .

Right, I didn't think of the kelp. I moved out here just about a year ago and have been told that the kelp hasn't been as dense this past season.

Along those lines, that weight pack doesn't look very hydrodynamic.

I have that vest. I don't like it. I lost weights before, and I had to wear ankle weights to keep myself ballasted correctly.

Good to know, thanks, will pass on it.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt