collapse

Author Topic: Forest Ling  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Jeremy

Forest Ling
« on: December 06, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »
I came across this ling skull while mushroom picking at Salt Point yesterday.

It was about .75 mi from the water and 450 ft alt.

I'm guessing a large raptor or vulture jacked it at a fish cleaning station or campground.

To remain on topic, here's also a pic of a cauliflower mushroom that my wife found.

Offline Jeremy

Re: Forest Ling
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 07:56:58 PM »
Nice ones!

This was my first time eating cauliflower mushroom. I poached it in cream and seasoned it with salt and white pepper. Very savory. Will try it in a soup next time!

Offline lazyhook

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 09:58:59 PM »
Cauliflower mushrooms work really well with potato preparations, such as scalloped or au gratin.  Also, with richer versions of mac & cheese (meaning not out of a box).

Either way, cook the mushrooms up a bit first in a saute pan.  Then, add the other dish as part of their normal preparation.

The hardest part of dealing with them is cleaning, but they are worth the effort.

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 08:24:44 AM »
Cauliflower mushrooms work really well with potato preparations, such as scalloped or au gratin.  Also, with richer versions of mac & cheese (meaning not out of a box).

Either way, cook the mushrooms up a bit first in a saute pan.  Then, add the other dish as part of their normal preparation.

The hardest part of dealing with them is cleaning, but they are worth the effort.

Yea, cleaning was difficult since it can't be brushed. I held it down in that metal bowl while swirling it in shallow water, which I changed many times. I might try cleaning it with a spray bottle next time.

Thanks for the cooking tips!

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 07:17:49 AM »

Yea, cleaning was difficult since it can't be brushed. I held it down in that metal bowl while swirling it in shallow water, which I changed many times. I might try cleaning it with a spray bottle next time.

Thanks for the cooking tips!

Was it packed with dirt or something? Mine was sparkly all except for the bottom which I cut off. The rest I cut into chunks and ran water over while in a colander but there was no dirt really.

I can't remember what it looked like when my wife first found it. I think some of the dirt might have been transferred from other mushrooms in the basket. I didn't have any way of isolating it. Packing paper bags next time.

Offline kenkim89

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 10:42:46 PM »
Is there any unedible variety that is commonly mistaken for this? It looks pretty distinct. Sorry totally new to the site, but I love that you guys forage too

Offline lazyhook

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 07:45:53 AM »
Cauliflower mushrooms are generally considered a "safe" mushroom for beginning foragers since they are fairly distinct, and there aren't really any dangerous or deadly lookalikes.  But, what may seem distinct and different to one person may look similar to somebody else.

Also, the range of edibility for all mushrooms is also a function of individuals and preparation (meaning if and how cooked).

And, if you do find one, remember that exact location.  Cauliflowers will typically regrow every year.

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 08:33:40 AM »
Is there any unedible variety that is commonly mistaken for this? It looks pretty distinct. Sorry totally new to the site, but I love that you guys forage too

I'm new at California mushroom picking having just moved here a year ago, but to echo lazyhook, cauliflower mushrooms are relatively easy to recognize. There aren't "faux" cauliflowers or toxic twins that I know of.

Foraging used to be a backup for me, but nowadays I enjoy it just as much as diving. I started spearfishing in a sea that's been highly pressured by commercial fisheries. I rarely saw prized fish on shoredives, in which case I'd forage. I also had a terrible aim with my polespear back then... hence gathering > hunting haha.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast