collapse

Author Topic: Carbon Composite Freedive Fins  (Read 836 times)

Offline CabKing65

• Cast Iron -BrautWurst Beer PoleSpear-Mako 60CM
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Yhf4PMTgw
Carbon Composite Freedive Fins
« on: December 23, 2015, 10:03:03 PM »
Any one ever use the Mako Carbon Composite Freedive Fins or any other brands that use a Carbon/Fiberglass composite?
AKA SnowKing, 

If You want the Freedom to Dive again!  Never dive with out a Freedom Dive Knife!

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: Carbon Composite Freedive Fins
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 11:24:50 PM »
I haven't, but I don't know what the point would be. It seems like you would have a fg fin. Or a stiff carbon fiber fin. I don't know how they would compliment each other. I think it's an either/or kinda thing.

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 03:54:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have them, but from a different distributor.  I like them in my Omer (Millenium?) pockets. They're going to be a lot stiffer in Mako's pockets, because Mako's pockets (as of two years ago) are pretty stiff. In my setup they're good for diving, and adequate (but stiff) for surface swimming.

Offline DG

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 04:03:53 PM »
Not sure if they are the same ones I borrowed when I took Jon's dive class as I think he said they were hybrid.  I didn't notice much benefit and that's why I delayed getting carbon fins.  That was a mistake. 

Offline Luckydivah

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 07:37:44 PM »
Any one ever use the Mako Carbon Composite Freedive Fins or any other brands that use a Carbon/Fiberglass composite?

They are the Leaderfin Stereoblades Waves Carbon blade.  Extremely stiff and as Jeremy stated paired with a Mako pocket they will be even stiffer.  If you want to come feel a bunch of different carbon blades make a trip down here and you can feel the fg/carbon composite compared to pure carbon blades.  The only mixed carbon blade I'd even consider is the Kevlar/Carbon mix we are testing right now, Kris is wearing it, but it isn't ready for production yet. Foot pockets and the tendons have a lot to do with the stiffness of the blade and how it is effects blade performance.

Kris and I are going to be writing an article soon to hopefully shine some light on carbon fins, the good, the bad and the ugly.  There is a ton of misinformation out there regarding carbon fins and a lot of it is based off of "feeling" rather than kick cycles, oxygen use, heart rate etc.  A lot of the top level fins out there all make a really good blade and there is just subtle differences between most that may make one better than another if you have had the opportunity to try them all.  Leaderfins have there place in the market as an entry level carbon that is extremely affordable but I don't recommend it.  I carry them simply because people do not want to pay 400.00 for a carbon blade so they opt for leaderfins. Leaderfins also only come with 1 year warranty on breakage and delamination where most of the better manufactured carbon blades have a minimum 2 year against breakage, some like Bleutec, Subcraft and Spear Pro have a 3 year breakage lifetime delamination. Hopefully in the next few weeks we can put out the article and state why we feel carbon blades are worth the investment and are entirely suitable for Norcal diving.

Here is the same exact fin:

http://www.redtrianglespearfishing.com/collections/fins/products/leaderfins-stereoblades-waves-carbon-fin-blades

Matt

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 01:37:37 PM »
For posterity, my pockets are Stingrays which RTS sells, not Millenniums.  I like the setup.  Regardless of what you end up with, learning to fin correctly and in a manner that matches your fins is as important as the fins themselves.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt