collapse

Author Topic: Swell Protected areas in Sonoma??  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Liveclean

Swell Protected areas in Sonoma??
« on: October 18, 2015, 02:53:58 PM »
I am flying in from out of town for the event in Caspar Saturday but I will be stuck near San Fran till Friday.  My Dad is coming in from out of town also (he has 40 years of Abing in up The mendo area but has moved) and he doesn't know that region well.

I plan to dive each evening after my Lunch meetings in the Bay Area but the NW swell forecasted for Thursday is looking gnarly. I am not looking for any hot spots just an area protected a bit from the swell up in the Jenner region similar to Van Damm. I was looking at Timber cove and have not gotten confirmed yet on if Fort Ross is opened back up? Feel free to PM me if you want, we are both pretty experienced but not in that area. It is a long awaited family get together in the water so any direction would helpful and met with Gratitude.

Offline Amsmosh

Re: Swell Protected areas in Sonoma??
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 02:56:50 PM »
Even on the roughest days timber cove seems to be diveable. Fort Ross is closed for abs but for fish it is open(there isn't much there though) though it should be diveable no matter what. Inside OC might be worth looking at.

Hope this helps!
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 05:56:06 PM »
Thanks a bunch, I have been waiting to get into the water with my old man for a long time!

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 05:58:44 PM »
What's the parking gig look like there?

Offline JZumi

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 06:34:58 PM »
At Fort Ross you park out on the highway and walk past the windmill. As you start down the hill, take the trail to the right. You will drop down to the main cove which is very protected from NW swell. Jump in and work your way to the point.

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 06:11:49 AM »
I want to nab abs so I will likely hit the other coves. Those were the ones where cant tell parking from maps.

Offline Stoney

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 06:30:30 AM »
Timber cove has a privately owned campground for cheap day entry with beach access, cleaning station and toilets

Offline Amsmosh

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 08:34:10 AM »
Ocean Cove has a privately owned launch. Just pay at the general store across the street and there will be a dirt road to a bluff overlooking the ocean with plenty of parking.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 10:54:11 PM »
Thanks a ton guys.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt