collapse

Author Topic: New Kraken  (Read 1192 times)

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
New Kraken
« on: September 05, 2015, 09:51:28 AM »
Picking up my first ocean kayak next week. So far I've only done shore dives so this is going to be new to me. Had a couple questions.  When you get to your dive location how do you anchor.? I know when I shore dive my anchor gets stuck everytime and have to dive to get it loose. Do you just check the depth before anchoring to make sure you can free it? Can you attach a float line to your kayak an do it that way without anchoring? Any and all advice that can help a new kayaker would be great.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
Re: New Kraken
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 10:21:56 AM »
The kraken is pretty heavy. The first thing i would recommend is a set of wheel-ez beach wheels to make getting it to the water way easier. As far as anchoring most people try to get away with hooking up to kelp with a kelp clip. If there is no kelp present i anchor. I use a grapple anchor to 75ft of rope to an egg float. I then hook my kelp clip to the anchor line. If im in 45ft i ussually put a loop in the line and hook up to the loop so i dont have all 75ft out. Its better to have the extra line and not need it. Sometimes if its rough you wont be able to anchor in 20 feet.

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 02:59:35 PM »
Picking up my first ocean kayak next week. So far I've only done shore dives so this is going to be new to me. Had a couple questions.  When you get to your dive location how do you anchor.? I know when I shore dive my anchor gets stuck everytime and have to dive to get it loose. Do you just check the depth before anchoring to make sure you can free it? Can you attach a float line to your kayak an do it that way without anchoring? Any and all advice that can help a new kayaker would be great.

What do you mean your anchor gets stuck when you shore dive? 

If your yak needs any anchoring (ie it is not flat calm or sitting in kelp bed), attaching the floatline won't fix the problem.  It will pull on you too much.  Even a banks board on a floatline can be a struggle.  Chasing unanchored stuff really distracts you from diving.  It sucks, in fact.  As for finding the depth, a fishfinder is helpful or seeing live kelp signifies structure below that's not super deep (it can be fairly deep though).  Checking depth is important not just to know if your anchor will catch, but more importantly, is the spot within your dive depth.  Your going to want some structure within your reach, and you won't be diving in a spot if it is too deep for your anchor.

PS:  with a nice big kayak, be very careful handling it solo.  I strongly recommend against deadlifting kayaks and throwing them on your roof by yourself.  I wish I had not done that. I just heard of a guy who cracked vertebrae loading a boat onto his roof.  Drag it, get wheels, ask for help, and get load assist devices like outrigger and hullavator if you need them.  This sport already challenges your back in several ways:  paddling, duckdiving, weightbelt, long drives, lugging gear up steep banks.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 03:05:01 PM by yowlie »

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 08:41:06 PM »
When I shore dive I attach an anchor to my tube. I haven't found many places in sonoma county with alot of kelp to clip off to. I don't dive at alot of different locations though because I normally dive solo.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
When I shore dive I attach an anchor to my tube. I haven't found many places in sonoma county with alot of kelp to clip off to. I don't dive at alot of different locations though because I normally dive solo.

Got it

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt