collapse

Author Topic: Abalone gut soup  (Read 3630 times)

Offline JRNICO

• Nicolini Designs
Abalone gut soup
« on: July 01, 2015, 05:39:15 PM »
Abalone gut soup
I was in Caspar a few weekends ago and some South Korean people were stoked to take our abalone guts. We gladly handed them over.  They said they were making abalone gut soup, which we cringed our faces at; they didn’t want any fish guts, just the abalone.  Anyways, got me thinking, they just eat kelp right? I’ve made fish head soup, eaten roe, raw fish, ceviche, blah blah.  So today I made an experimental abalone entrails soup, and it turned out delicious (don’t call it gut soup, call it abalone trimming soup or something).  Without further ado, recipe.

Take your abalone trimmings / guts. Set aside.
Sautee some onions in olive oil, let the onion turn translucent. 
Add the abalone trimmings / guts, and then cover with vegetable/chicken broth so they are completely submerged. 
Add some fish sauce and a little soy sauce.  Bring to a boil then bring to a simmer, simmer for an hour or so.
Strain the liquid and discard the guts (I might get brave and eat them at some point, but I figured I’d’ take baby steps in this).
Set broth aside.
Sautee another onion in olive oil, add another sliced Serrano pepper.  Add some chopped carrots in, sauté for 5 minutes. 
Add abalone broth in, let come to a low boil, bring down to simmer.  Add some coconut milk, at this point you just want any vegetables in the broth to turn soft. 
I added in some cubed fresh rockfish at the end, let it cook in the hot broth for a few minutes.   
Serve over rice. 
My pops and I ate it, and we gobbled every last bit down, it was delicious!

Cheers!

Offline John

Re: Abalone gut soup
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 10:41:24 PM »
You made the recipe up? Pretty adventurous!  I have seen that a lot of Asian recipes call for the abalone "liver" but I've never gotten up the nerve to try it.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Rick W

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 06:41:38 AM »
Andrew Zimmern had a show set in Baja and they made soup with some kinds of guts.

Waste not, want not.

Thanks for sharing!
There are no bad days at the beach.

Offline chopper

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 07:51:23 AM »
I've cooked up parts of the gonad a few times -- usually just take the tip and poach it for a bit and then slice and dip in a ponzu sauce. Tastes like what I remember liver tasting like - very strong iron flavor. Not bad if liver is your thing.

Offline Nick F

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 09:03:41 AM »
Good on you for trying it! I have a buddy who chastises me for discarding any part of the abalone... and he swears the innards make good eating. I haven't worked up the nerve yet, but maybe I'll give it a shot. Thanks for sharing!

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 10:00:42 AM »
pass...I will use  the guts to catch Cabezon instead.  Best Cabezon bait ever.  Waste not, want not.
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Offline kwonsoo

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 07:19:52 AM »
As a Korean spearo/diver who grew in the States, with access to abs, I used to throw away all the trimmings and guts too. i too was grossed out with the thought of making anything with the guts. That all changed when my wife made some Jeonbokjuk (Abalone rice porridge). Making myself take that  first taste/bite was all mental. Getting over the thought of eating something that the ab had eaten and digesting. Let me tell you guys, don't knock it until you try it. A faint taste of kelp with a sweet after taste and a boost of energy in the body. Most Koreans will cook Jeonbokjuk for people that are sick to boost the immune system and to boost the energy to get people back on their feet. I now eat Jeonbokjuk on a regular basis.
FYI, for me, I add a pinch of salt, sesame oil and soy sauce.
Here is a link to the recipe.
http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/jeonbokjuk

Offline Ptown707

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 10:44:32 AM »
I have a Pilipino friend that makes this same recipe, says its bomb......I will take his word for it.
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt