collapse

Author Topic: Ear problem  (Read 5431 times)

Offline DG

Ear problem
« on: August 26, 2015, 06:39:10 PM »
Went diving today and don't remember ear pain, but on the way home my hearing started to fade.  Now I lost 90 percent of my hearing in my left ear.  Doctors office is closed so I guess I have to wait the night and see if the hearing comes back. 

Anyone else have this happen and was it temporary. 

Offline saltwaterweapon

Re: Ear problem
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:00:31 PM »
I have a ongoing problem with surfer's ear it's when cartilage grows in your ear canal from repeated exposure to cold wind. Witch in my case meaning ear surgery to remove cartilage. When I get water in my ear it does not drain causing chronic ear infections, pain in the +×÷=. Hopefully that is not the issue with u. It is the worst in my right ear because of sitting looking west surfing and the never ending Noth west winds blowing in that ear year after since I was 11 Be leave it or not. It is actually very common

Offline DG

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 08:09:31 PM »
I hope it is not something severe. 

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 09:25:05 PM »
Wow, I hope it comes back. I think I damaged my ear last summer. I couldn't clear my ears and pushed beyond the point of pain until my common sense finally told me to quit. My hearing was muffled all that day but slowly came back a day or so later. I still get ringing to this day though. Get to the doc ASAP (obviously). Hope it turns out okay.

I've worn JBL ear plugs ever since and have had almost no problems. Wish I had always worn them.

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 10:55:51 PM »
How deep are you going DG?
The Lord has given us the seafood; let us enjoy it.

Offline DG

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 05:14:03 AM »

How deep are you going DG?

40' but I did hit an extremely cold layer that may have shocked my ear. 

Offline Nick F

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 08:30:47 AM »
Yikes! I've never experienced anything like that. I hope it's nothing serious.

Offline DG

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 08:49:40 AM »
It's feeling better today.  Not 100 percent but definitely better than yesterday. 

What's everyone's thoughts on diving with vented ear plugs.  I have never tried as I have heard mixed reviews. 

Offline the_derek

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 08:50:01 AM »
DG, hope you are ok... post what the doctor says when you can.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline SnailHunter

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 09:18:24 AM »
I had some ear pain and was loosing hearing in one ear after diving.  I went to my doctor and she pulled out an almond sized plug of wax. 

I hope your issue gets resolved as easy as mine.  Let us know what the doc says.

Offline chopper

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 10:55:48 AM »
I like the vented plugs -- they seem to slow down the rate at which I need to equalize. I have a lot of trouble equalizing my right ear and would often get past the point where I could equalize it without the plugs, but with them I can usually catch up with it. I could slow down my descent, but my crappy bottom times would be even worse then :-) I have both the Jbl's and doc's pro plugs and like the docs better FWIW.

Cheers,
Brad

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 11:26:13 AM »
Hope you heal up fast and well Duane!!!

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 02:22:19 PM »
I like the vented plugs -- they seem to slow down the rate at which I need to equalize.
+1  I have always had trouble with my left ear.  I feel like they help me. I bought the JBL's because I read good reviews on them.
Ken Butler

Offline the_derek

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 02:24:15 PM »
I like the vented plugs -- they seem to slow down the rate at which I need to equalize.
+1  I have always had trouble with my left ear.  I feel like they help me. I bought the JBL's because I read good reviews on them.

Hey Ken, what about hands free? during my dives i can go hands free, but by the end of the day I need to go all old school. Any idea if these would help keep me going free all day?
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 09:30:10 PM »

Hey Ken, what about hands free? during my dives i can go hands free, but by the end of the day I need to go all old school. Any idea if these would help keep me going free all day?
I think they would extend the time you are able to go hands free.  They are only $16-20 so it's not like you're out a ton of money if they don't work.  I had to buy two pairs before I found a size that fit me. 
Ken Butler

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt