collapse

Author Topic: Fried Abalone Burgers and Whole Blue Rockfish  (Read 5051 times)

Offline watersbythebay

Fried Abalone Burgers and Whole Blue Rockfish
« on: August 07, 2015, 09:06:17 AM »
Took a few meaty abs from Albion over the weekend, and got some fat blues and tried out some new recipes on both, I hope you enjoy:

Fried Abalone Burgers

- Quarter or halve the abalone and then beat till really tender, about the same as you would if you were going to bake whole
- Shred the abalone, I used my cuisinart food processor's grating blade, I had imagined it coming out with the consistency of a grated carrots but it ended up much more paste like, basically ended up like a can of tuna
- Shred a block of cheese, I used Cabot Habanero cheddar, great kick to it
- Add seasoning, I minced up handfuls of cilantro and basil, and added some salt and pepper

Combine all of the above and make patties, then I couldn't resist battering them in ritz crackers, so they got coated in flour, dunked in egg(I blended 4 eggs together, the frothy consistency is great for dunking), and then smothered in pulverized ritz crackers(about one sleeve of crackers, keep a second handy for snaking cuz they are straight up crack)

I fried them in peanut oil, which I prefer over vegetable oil for frying anything, till they were golden brown to dark brown. I kept the oil depth at about half the height of the smallest patty, they were never fully submerged in oil. They were cooked through and very tender and paired great with a growler of ipa. I used an 8 inch and 9 inch abalone, and it made 9 burgers total

Whole Cooked Blue Rockfish

Really happy with my first attempt at whole cooking a blue, being in my first year of spearing, I was kinda bummed at how little meat I was getting from rockfish fillets, but a 15 inch blue cooked whole ended up serving 3-4 and is fun to prep and bbq

- Gill, gut, and scale your fish
- Salt and Pepper the inside and line the inside with slices of butter and lemon, and stuff with cliantro
- Tie up using two bits of string to keep all the stuff inside
- Put on the bbq until the outside is mostly blackened, about 10 minutes each side
- Eat!

Make sure your grill is cleaned and oiled, and it helps the spray some oil on the outside of the fish too, and make the grill really hot. Once you start to pick at it, you will be able to slide the majority of the skeleton out of the meat.

Offline JackSquirt

• We're life takers and heart breakers
Re: Fried Abalone Burgers and Whole Blue Rockfish
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 09:14:40 AM »
Next level. I'll have to give ab burgers a try, thanks.
Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAK_Ey3-Y0OQp06SLvni-pw

Offline chopper

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 09:29:50 AM »
nice work! both of those are favorite techniques around my house. You can also bake or steam the whole rockfish as well.

For my ab burgers I usually add a little bread crumb and egg to the mix along with various seasoning -- I found the ones without any filler cooked up a little dense. the filler loosened it up a little and didn't seem to affect the taste.

cheers
brad

Offline the_derek

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »
Nice, Looks like a great meal. Hope you had a few beers to go with it :)
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline underwater1

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 09:51:03 AM »
How were the burgers?

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 10:29:44 AM »
Nice!!

Whole rockies yield waaay more meat than filets...great job!!

:)

Sincerely,

Jim

ps...you can also do them whole in a foil packet in grill, or whole fried in a cast iron skillet, or whole steamed like chopper said.  :)

Offline watersbythebay

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 10:35:12 AM »
Really tasty, slightly crisp out the outside and cooked through nicely. The richness of the ab combined with the ritz cracker made even the smaller patties very filling. I really enjoyed the flavor of the habanero cheese, I actually think it helps bring out some of the uniqueness of the subtle abalone flavor instead of masking it, but I could also just like stuff spicy. Always pair with good beer, I recommend a high octane IPA of your choice

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 11:08:23 AM »
Those ab burgers sound great! Next on the menu.

Offline TheFlyingDutchman

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 11:37:25 AM »
you sound like quite the cook! We should be friends haha
-Aaron Sturtevant

rluiz

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »
I've heard about these burgers and always wanted to try them! thanks for the write up and recipe

Offline underwater1

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 01:56:29 PM »
Really tasty, slightly crisp out the outside and cooked through nicely. The richness of the ab combined with the ritz cracker made even the smaller patties very filling. I really enjoyed the flavor of the habanero cheese, I actually think it helps bring out some of the uniqueness of the subtle abalone flavor instead of masking it, but I could also just like stuff spicy. Always pair with good beer, I recommend a high octane IPA of your choice

Thanks for posting!

Offline the_derek

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 02:10:26 PM »
Always pair with good beer, I recommend a high octane IPA of your choice

+ 1 for lagunitas ipa
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline John

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 08:15:52 AM »
nice work! both of those are favorite techniques around my house. You can also bake or steam the whole rockfish as well.

For my ab burgers I usually add a little bread crumb and egg to the mix along with various seasoning -- I found the ones without any filler cooked up a little dense. the filler loosened it up a little and didn't seem to affect the taste.

cheers
brad

+1 for bread crumb filler. I grind up the scraps and make ab cakes. I made ab burgers once but I just pounded the whole ab, cut out some burger sized medallions from the middle of the foot, beaded and fried so the burgers were a solid piece of ab.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 09:42:02 PM »
"paired great with a growler of ipa." 

Great, that puts your abalone burgers in the same class as a bag of Doritos. What doesn't pair well with a growler of IPA? Oh, a root canal.
The Lord has given us the seafood; let us enjoy it.

Offline Nick F

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 08:36:42 AM »
What doesn't pair well with a growler of IPA? Oh, a root canal.

Dental work and large quantities of alcohol have gone hand-in-hand for thousands of years! It's a classic combination!

Those meals look delicious. Cooking them whole has recently become my favorite way to prepare rockfish. It also provides a nice excuse for why my fish are so small. "The big ones won't fit in my frying pan..."

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt