collapse

Author Topic: Mola Mola?  (Read 6699 times)

Offline Malibu_Two

Mola Mola?
« on: July 26, 2015, 05:41:48 PM »
I don't think I'm the only one interested in seeing pics and hearing a review of the mola mola recipe. It can't still be sitting in the fridge...

Offline DG

Re: Mola Mola?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 07:12:52 PM »
I think you scared the excited new poster away.  Probably eating his fish, drinking some beer and saying screw those mola mola lovers.  Or it's in the freezer.

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 06:44:48 AM »
I don't think I'm the only one interested in seeing pics and hearing a review of the mola mola recipe. It can't still be sitting in the fridge...
+1

Offline Richmonder

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 11:49:59 AM »
+1
+2, I'm a huge fan of eating the strange and bizarre so I'd love to see and hear about it.

Offline CabKing65

• Cast Iron -BrautWurst Beer PoleSpear-Mako 60CM
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Yhf4PMTgw
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 12:30:07 PM »
Holy Mola! Reminds me of

AKA SnowKing, 

If You want the Freedom to Dive again!  Never dive with out a Freedom Dive Knife!

Offline the_derek

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 02:48:09 PM »
Holy Mola! Reminds me of

Dio is the shit BTW.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator

Offline the_derek

Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 06:18:04 PM »

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 09:13:22 PM »
This sounds yummy!

The sunfish is the heaviest fish in the ocean per square inch. The two of them lifted the fish onto the gunwale where Alex performed expert, professional and knowledgeable surgery. Pay attention here. The first thing you need to know about filleting a sunfish is that what looks like you should cut and take home is what you throw out. What looks like what you should throw out, you take home.

First you cut off the side of the fish to expose it's inner parts. Amongst the organs you will find a white jelly-like flesh. This is what you want. The side of the fish is like a white meat lid to protect his insides. Turn the fish over and do the same, extracting the jelly-like white flesh. Bag it and chill it.

To cook mola mola flesh you must first boil this jelly like meat for 20 minutes. It will shrink to half its size and become more solid. Then take what's left and fry it. You can bread it or fry in oil and garlic.

In a blind taste test with Linda and Mike Kuhar, Dorothy and Mike Kraus and Gail and I there was nothing but raves. I fooled them into thinking it was black cod. "It tastes like Black Sea bass" "No, like lobster." Everyone loved it. Then I laid it on them: "Y'all been eating mola mola." "Steve, you mean mola mola like in sunfish?" "Yes" I replied. The room is now filled with Mola Mola Killers.

You have no idea how good this was. It's right up there with number one fish to eat. It's awesome. We have driven over the best eating seafood for years without ever knowing it. But you have to know how to prepare this fish. Once you do this correctly, you too will stop on Mola Molas. It's better than yellowtail or any kind of tuna, I guarantee it. It's the undiscovered primo seafood that will melt in your mouth, so sweet and succulent, you will hunt them down.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 09:26:15 PM »
I would rather do this than eat one!

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 10:32:25 PM »
+1

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 06:22:56 AM »
Last year while diving for halibut in Monterey I got hungry and tried to chase down this little guy...

;)

He was too fast for me.

:-[

Sincerely,

Jim
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:23:24 AM by BigJim »

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 07:06:49 AM »
Cool footage.... Thanks!

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 09:20:52 PM »
It's gotta be fermenting by now! Seriously, where are pics of the final product?

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt