collapse

Author Topic: Dive area for a first time diver  (Read 1668 times)

Offline tkdvellone

Dive area for a first time diver
« on: June 11, 2015, 10:05:50 AM »
Hey, I was hopeing that you guys can give me a place to take a first time diver out for abs. I have heard van Dame is a good place but I know nothing of that area. Any help would be awesome thanks.

Offline Nick F

Re: Dive area for a first time diver
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 10:27:43 AM »
Van Damme is good... relatively protected and very shallow in the middle of the cove. I pulled my first ab in Russian Gulch, which is a little bit north of Van Damme. My buddy took me there because it's a very easy entry/exit and it's extremely protected from the wind/swell.

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 10:55:34 AM »
Ocean Cove is great.  Very protected entry and exit and there are keepers in the cove. Not as Sandy as Van Damme or Anchor Bay= usually better viz . . . .

Offline tkdvellone

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 12:04:23 PM »
I thought of ocean cove but his dive depth will be limited to about 10 - 12 ft, I just wanted to get him on some abs, Location doesnt really matter to us.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »
 Where do you live

Offline Ptown707

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 12:15:22 PM »
Van damme,  shallow, lots of abalone and protected.
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline tkdvellone

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »
I am from Vallejo, and what part of the cove at van dame would be the best.

Offline John

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 12:38:01 PM »
Hey, I was hopeing that you guys can give me a place to take a first time diver out for abs. I have heard van Dame is a good place but I know nothing of that area. Any help would be awesome thanks.

No place is always safe, you could choose anywhere with an experienced diver staying right with the newbie. As the experienced diver you will stand on the beach and determine by looking at the water and knowing what is under there,  is it safe enough that I can guarantee bringing this person back out with me. If not you drink some beers and say "That's diving".
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 12:52:45 PM »
From Vallejo you can go to either Sonoma or Mendocino. In Mendocino Vandamme would be your best bet. Southside of the Cove is probably better.

Offline tkdvellone

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 09:51:30 PM »
Thanks for the help, so the south side of the cove is the place to go then, awesome, thanks and any other info would be great

Offline nunaddict

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 03:30:56 AM »
Any recommendations on places to camp this weekend in Mendocino as Van Damme is booked up?

Offline SnailHunter

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 09:56:19 AM »
Russian Gulch is my favorite camp area but they book up months ahead of time.  Sometimes you can luck out if there is a cancellation. 

Mendocino campground is decent, they have a phone number on their website and are pretty responsive/nice.

Always plan for wet camping, especially in the summer along the coast. 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt