collapse

Author Topic: pile-o-fish  (Read 2103 times)

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
pile-o-fish
« on: June 01, 2015, 03:13:19 PM »
Ok. Over the passed week I've come home with a stringer of fish about every day.And with that stringer of fish I always deep fry it. I really want to do something else. I think the family is getting sick of fried fish. I really want to try making ceviche. What is the best fish to use. Today I have Cabazon, perch,and rock fish. Can I use any of these fish to make it. If not what is the best one to use .
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline DG

Re: pile-o-fish
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 03:58:50 PM »
For Cabazon I marinade the fillets in olive oil, lemon juice and pepper.  Then I Grill it.  Simple but good.  The meat shrinks a little and the bones protrude and can be removed easily after grilling it. 

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 04:11:37 PM »
Thanks DG. Do you take the skin off?

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 04:29:38 PM »
I don't know how to make ceviche but Cabezon is fantastic baked.  Just coat it with 3 parts olive oil and one part tamari.  If it is cold or really big, you might cover it with tinfoil for the end of the process since it will take longer (20 min?) and that can dry out the outer meat.  It's done when the meat comes off the spinal column.  Remove the large chunks and arrange on a plate.  Sprinkle a little olive oil on it.  Also great cold.  Bake it when it is fresh and eat for lunch a day or two later with rice or corn tortilla with green salsa.

Offline DG

pile-o-fish
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 04:41:11 PM »
Thanks DG. Do you take the skin off?

I do remove the skin.  The flavor gets in better that way.  I usually marinade for at least an hour or longer if I remember.  There is no exact measurement just add enough oil to coat fish and about one lemon (or equivalent juice) per fish and put in zip lock bag.  Sprinkle pepper in and shake it around so it's good and coated. 

I use a fish rack that holds it all together but you can put on grill directly just keep an eye on it so it doesn't break apart and fall in. 

I am not one who cooks fish whole but some like to.  I use the extra parts for garden fertilizer or grind them up for crab bait so nothing goes to waste.  I just eat the fillets.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:45:50 PM by DG »

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 05:31:27 PM »
Use rockfish for ceviche! The clean boneless meat is the best. Soak the fish in a mixture of lime, lemon, and orange juice, and then make a salsa: tomato, red onion, cilantro, avocado, mango, chipotle, and a shot of tequila. After four hours or so, add the fish to the salsa. Salt to taste and serve with chips!

Offline pclark

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 06:31:41 PM »
Use rockfish for ceviche! The clean boneless meat is the best. Soak the fish in a mixture of lime, lemon, and orange juice, and then make a salsa: tomato, red onion, cilantro, avocado, mango, chipotle, and a shot of tequila. After four hours or so, add the fish to the salsa. Salt to taste and serve with chips!

I think you want to freeze any rockfish, cab or ling before making ceviche out of it.  The lemon juice will cook it enough but not kill the parasites, freezing will.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 06:48:12 PM »
Cabezon turned out great. Thanks! Got the rock fish in the freezer. Guess I'll try the ceviche tomorrow. Going out again tomorrow as well. If i end up with another full stringer maybe I'll try smoking some.

Offline DG

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 09:11:39 PM »

Cabezon turned out great. Thanks! Got the rock fish in the freezer. Guess I'll try the ceviche tomorrow. Going out again tomorrow as well. If i end up with another full stringer maybe I'll try smoking some.

I got tired of all the fried fish also and that's when I started trying other recipes.  I am going to try the ceviche soon.  Sounds good. 

I smoked a bunch of fish and liked the ling the most.  Good to smoke similar sized pieces otherwise some will be dryer and others will be to moist. 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt