collapse

Author Topic: Epoxy (re-)coating a wood speargun  (Read 2253 times)

Offline thereefgeek

• Do what you like, not what your friends like.
Epoxy (re-)coating a wood speargun
« on: July 12, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »
(this one's not on S.B.)

When I first built my little bamboo gun, I was under a bit of pressure to get it built before the Big Ab-Ling Tourney and only did 3 (actually 2 'cause I effed one up) coats of epoxy resin on the gun.  I think I got that gun built from start to finish in less than a week :D, but after half dozen days of the gun bashing around on the bottom hanging on the end of a floatline, I decided to re-coat my little baby.  I also noticed a nasty split down the stock that needed some resin to keep the water intrusion to a minimum.

Here's what you'll need (Sierra Nevada is optional, but highly recommended):
Epoxy (Phil's is 2-1 ratio of resin to hardener by volume)
Plastic cups and popsicle sticks for mixing
Something to measure (I used graduated medical syringes to pull resin from containers)
Nitrile gloves
Disposable paint brushes
Acetone for clean-up

-Rich VanDusen (my friends call me "Dick")
www.svrambleon.com

Offline thereefgeek

Re: Epoxy (re-)coating a wood speargun
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 11:43:17 AM »
Here's what Phil wrote:

ok heres some of the steps/tips i do to coat /lam a gun i willl add more as i have time (sorry' but im not going to do a start to finish with pics of how i do it ,i have to keep some secrets )

epoxy info:
2/1 ratio
7 hr hard time @ 78 , 7 days full cure
working time 20 min at 78

safety:
always wear gloves and wear a respirator or work outside when working with epoxy resin, and when sanding resin that is not fully cured.

general :
never very ratio for epoxy
do not thin epoxy

mixing:
this resin has a mixing tint to take full advantage i use clear mixing cups .when u first start mixing it will look milky after about 1 min. of mixing ( mix slowly and make sure to scrape the sides and bottom to limit bubbles and to get a complete mix.
only add pigments/ fillers after mixing

gun prep:
1 sand all surfaces to 80 grit with the grain to promote a strong mechanical bond.
2 quick ounce over with a green scotch brite pad
3 blow dust off the gun
4 from this point on do not touch gun with bare hands ( oils from your hands will give the finish "fish eyes"

application:
1 hang the gun and bring the room and gun up to temp (around 78) (do not apply resin as the temp is rising or u will get bubbles)
using a disposable brush or high quality sponge brush apply a thin coat of resin. check on the gun and stop drips every 20 min until hard
2 add 2 or 3 more thin coats : call it good if happy with finish or
3 sand to 220 to remove any lumps
4 do 2 more thin coats or until happy
5 do NOT start assembling the gun for at least 4-6 days to give the resin time to cure (it will be very ez to scratch the first couple days)
www.svrambleon.com

Abdvrob

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:48:27 AM »
Thanks Rich! Im gunna create a library and store all this stuff for when I get started on my gun. Which will be soon.

Offline thereefgeek

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »
Since my gun already had epoxy coating, I just roughed up the surface with 220 grit (application step 3), and blew all the dust off really well with a compressor.

Best applied in a warm garage, late in the day when the temp is dropping.  Any bubbles will want to float to the surface and the epoxy will fill the voids better.

I hung the gun and handle, measured and mixed the resin (10cc of resin - 5cc cure), plucked out any loose bristles on the brush, and started laying it on really thin.  I used a dab of resin on a toothpick or bamboo skewer to get into all the screw holes and recesses of the gun for total waterproofing.

www.svrambleon.com

Offline thereefgeek

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:00:14 PM »
You'll want to hang around for a while to catch any drips or sags in the resin, and you can float out any bubbles by "popping" a propane torch over the surface (only turn the valve on enough to get a little gas so when you hit the ignighter it "pops" and doesn't light all the way; just close enough to warm the bubble and make them crack and float away).

You can hit it with a second coat after a couple hours for a good chemical bond, but if the resin cures all the way (24 hours later) you may need to lightly rough up the gun with a scotchbrite pad to give the next coat some "teeth" for a mechanical bond.

Once you're done, give it a few days before assembly.
www.svrambleon.com

Abdvrob

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 02:09:33 PM »
Damn that looks nice. Can I apply the epoxy to my teak Sea Sniper? Would you even recommend doing this?

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 07:58:28 PM »
I haven't built a gun yet, but I have built enough flyrods to be familiar with the epoxy process.  On rods you place the rod in a motorized rod turner then coat the thread wraps with 24  hour epoxy.  This allows the epoxy to cure with a uniform thickness with no sags.   Also if you hold a lit alcohol lamp near the wet epoxy it will bring any bubbles to the surface.   Woks pretty well.   

I plan to modify my rod turner for applying the finish coats when I finaly build a gun.  As far as that goes, I have a few different woods I am looking at, but I need to verify that they will be worth the effort. I wonder if I can use my vacuum sealer laminating the lath.  ???

MN

Offline phil herranen

• herranenspearguns
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 11:04:29 PM »
Damn that looks nice. Can I apply the epoxy to my teak Sea Sniper? Would you even recommend doing this?
yes u can ,but u need to sand and then wipe down with acetone a couple times to get the teak oil coating off
phil

Abdvrob

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 11:08:13 PM »
Awesome! Thanks Phil. I'll be hitting you up for some of your epoxy soon if thats ok?

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 11:40:51 PM »
I sure like the way that gun looks Rich! 
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline thereefgeek

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 07:44:50 AM »
On rods you place the rod in a motorized rod turner then coat the thread wraps with 24  hour epoxy.  This allows the epoxy to cure with a uniform thickness with no sags.

;)

www.svrambleon.com

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 09:03:35 AM »
I wonder if I can use my vacuum sealer laminating the lath.  ???

Are you talking about a vacum press like used in woodworking or a seal - a - meal?   How much pressure does a seal - a - meal generate?  A vacum press can generate a lot of pressure evenly over a work piece.
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 09:46:30 AM »
Yes, I was thinking about the food saver type of device with the roll of bags.  I am not sure what the vacuum output is, but I won't be trying to dry out a refrigerant piping systems  or fire up the condenser on a steam turbine with it.  ;)  I like the idea of the even pressure, but more importantly it seams to me that if you get tha air out of any voids and caused the epoxy to fill them, then you have acomplished a function that the clamps can not.    Maybe tape around the work before it goes in the bag and after the epoxy is applied would prevent the need for the clamps, then just let the atmosphere apply the squeeze.

I'll test is out on some scraps before I try it on the real deal.

MN

Offline thereefgeek

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 12:35:26 PM »
I wonder if I can use my vacuum sealer laminating the lath.  ???

Yep.

I don't know why I didn't think of it....  Every time I kill a fish or an abalone I stuff it in a Food Saver bag and pop it in the freezer.  Mike's post got me thinking (another thread that ain't on S.B. ;) ).  I checked the vacuum with an automotive test guage and those little bad boys put out 20 inches of vacuum. I glued up some scraps of wood with Titebond III and gave it a whirl:

www.svrambleon.com

Offline thereefgeek

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 12:38:10 PM »
Those bags come in 11" X 18' rolls, and 8" X 22' rolls.  I think the 8" wide rolls would be just the ticket (Just don't let my wife catch me out in the garage with the Food Saver  ;D)
www.svrambleon.com

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt