collapse

Author Topic: Leg Cramps  (Read 11430 times)

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
Re: Leg Cramps
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »
It is also useful to stretch the calf muscles periodically between dives.  This can be done easily during your breath up routine by pulling on one fin tip at time while pushing away with that heal.

That's what I do but for my feet. That's where I get cramps most often.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2015, 11:56:47 AM »
...3-5-7-9-7-5-3. ...
 The turns are the kicker and I do not blow my air out ...

Thanks Matt -
I'll have to start doing that. Sounds like a bitch on the turns though.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline mousemanx

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2015, 12:38:43 AM »
Stretching calves inbetween dives sounds like common sense since that's where I have most my troubles, but I don't find myself doing that until I have issues. Thanks for another great tip!

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2015, 12:29:44 PM »
...3-5-7-9-7-5-3. ...
 The turns are the kicker and I do not blow my air out ...

Thanks Matt -
I'll have to start doing that. Sounds like a bitch on the turns though.

Day One: Not even close
Day Two: No improvement
Day Three: Nope

This is going to take awhile  :'(

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2015, 08:21:40 PM »
Geeeezzzzz... I just re-read your "3-5-7-9-7-5-3' post. I've been trying a lap of 3, lap of 5, lap of 7...  Might be a wee bit easier now  ::)

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 11:32:25 PM »
You know to grab the tip if your fin and pull it up toward your chest if you get a cramp?
I am not sure I believe in pills and whatnot. The few times I had cramps; I noticed they were preceded by poor form caused by distraction or a lack of focus.
The Lord has given us the seafood; let us enjoy it.

Offline Luckydivah

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 11:41:53 PM »
Geeeezzzzz... I just re-read your "3-5-7-9-7-5-3' post. I've been trying a lap of 3, lap of 5, lap of 7...  Might be a wee bit easier now  ::)

Awesome!  Ya it takes time don't be frustrated.  I swam competitively for better part of a couple decades so it comes much easier to me.  It is always better to start off slow and do what you can.  When you get frustrated, stop, slow down and relax and focus on the technique.

You will find the more you relax and focus on going slower and proper technique you will start swimming faster and this drill will become much easier. If you need specific workouts for your ability shoot me a pm with you swimming/diving background and I bet we can get something that will help you out and something you can accomplish with a little effort.

Matt

Offline TheFlyingDutchman

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 08:27:42 AM »
Before water polo games I remember drinking tonic water containing quinine and and eating "tums" tablets which contain a lot of potassium. Both helped prevent cramps when paired with stretching and proper hydration
-Aaron Sturtevant

Offline Dirt Snow Water

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2015, 08:59:34 AM »
everybody has mentioned stretching, which is obvious, but to be more detailed, focus on your hamstring stretches too, helps me a lot with my calves.

I swim with a Masters swim team in Walnut Creek

what time you go Damani?  i used to be a regular at 7pm but have fallen off the map, might get me back in the pool knowing I can talk freediving with someone.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt