collapse

Author Topic: Leg Cramps  (Read 11424 times)

Offline mousemanx

Leg Cramps
« on: May 11, 2015, 07:04:52 AM »
Morning, All!  Anyone have any suggestions regarding mitigating calf cramps?  They've been plaguing me since high school so I know I'm prone to them. I've tried bananas, copious amounts of water, cramp pills from pharmacy...Nothing seems to help. Its gotten to where I just expect cramps when I dive now.

Offline John

Re: Leg Cramps
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 07:11:31 AM »
I have coached football for years and have seen sometimes the calf cramps are from lack of oxygen so just stretching it out and taking big breaths will help. I coached with another guy who used to keep mustard packets in the trainers box. Our nose guard would cramp up every game. He would come to the sidelines and eat two or three mustard packets and it seemed to help him.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Dave galea

• Maltese abalone
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 08:20:12 AM »
I've had the same problem since high school and I know a lady who is a bad ass yoga instructor who turned me on to a calcium pill made by a company called bone up there a bit pricy but they work miracles you can find them at any of the whole food stores in sonoma county or at andys produce in sebastopol I try to drink at least a quart of water the night before and then in the morning before I leave I take 2 tablets and try to drink as much water on the drive out, I dove Saturday with my son for 3 hours in 49 degree water and I was cramp less hope this helps good luck !
Maltese Abalone

Offline the_derek

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 09:01:46 AM »
I take a magnesium supplement and drink a ton of water. You should be stretching... maybe yoga too.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 09:15:47 AM »
A softer bladed fin would probably help tremendously. Maybe Matt lopez will chime in with some reccomendations.

Offline chopper

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 10:14:05 AM »
+1 on trying a softer blade (as well as proper hydration and nutrition). In the year since switching from Mako plastic blades to a soft FG fin I have only gotten a calf cramp once when they were fairly common before and I'm no better at following the advice on proper hydration and nutrition now than I was before.

Cheers,
Brad

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 11:16:42 AM »
In college my coach put me on salt tablets. Don't think I'd recommend it to anyone not working out like a mad dog, but it worked.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline underwater1

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 11:20:13 AM »
Training with your fins in the pool several times a week will help.  There are certain muscles used when wearing big fins that seem to be only used when wearing big fins.  Conditioning with a bicycle also helps.

Offline CabKing65

• Cast Iron -BrautWurst Beer PoleSpear-Mako 60CM
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Yhf4PMTgw
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 01:10:44 PM »
For sure stretching for 20mins before diving and stretching the Lungs, Pregame I will go  Bike riding, Swimming pool with Fins on,  Going to the Gym Spa-Sauna +all the  Gals in Yoga Paints  is a nice treat:D   Those few things have  help out  a lot, I don't cramp up in the legs like I used to!
AKA SnowKing, 

If You want the Freedom to Dive again!  Never dive with out a Freedom Dive Knife!

Offline mousemanx

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 01:52:31 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I will try just about all of this, lol. I really don't stretch much so hopefully that'll be huge in itself.  I stay pretty active but it makes sense that putting on big fins works our legs differently.  Never have heard of sucking down mustard but, heck, I'll load up on packets if it'll help

Offline CabKing65

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 02:23:18 PM »
I would suggest to stretch every day then. Try it out and see if that helps, I see a lot of divers just suit up and dive in, When you really need to stretch to prevent injuries and muscle cramps.
AKA SnowKing, 

If You want the Freedom to Dive again!  Never dive with out a Freedom Dive Knife!

Offline Luckydivah

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 04:33:22 PM »
As Adam said a softer blade will help tremendously.  I used to work long shifts and hours where my back and legs took the brunt of the punishment.  I started out like most with some sort of Jetfin/Scuba fin, went through a few different types of plastics until I landed in my first and would have been my last pair of blades if I wouldn't have started a dive shop, Bleutec Spearos.

They drastically improved the energy I expelled, improved bottom times and helped immensely with my back spasms and leg cramps. As I kept improving I decided I had a fin obsession. I swam all the way through college so fins are one of the things I love to mess with.  I hurt my back pretty bad at work so Petros from Spear America told me he had a blade he thought would help me, ending up being the Spear Pro blades.

They are super light and soft and with the proper kick allow me to still dive deep with minimal effort.  These blades in a 1.2 stiffness are the ones I recommend for anyone who is newer, a weekend warrior only or someone with injuries. I have never had a back spasm or leg cramp while using my Spear Pros.

Problem is most of us wear a blade that is either too stiff or one with a heavy footpocket that taxes the leg beyond belief causing leg fatigue and cramping.  Most people do not have the leg/back strength to properly kick a stiff fin.  I know because I have tested multiple top level blades and have watched some of the better divers up here change their technique once they put on a proper blade. A stiff fin forces you to bicycle kick on the way down and lets the stiff blade do some of the work.

I am all for training during the week especially dynamic apnea in a pool. There is nothing that improves bottom times, leg strength and general conditioning like Dynamic apnea.  In swimming it was relaxation at top speed and making sure you cut through the water efficiently.  Diving is exactly the same, you want to become as streamlined as possible, slice through the water and consume the least amount of energy as possible on the way down.  If you are doing aspettos the dive literally turns into a static breath hold if you can become super efficient on the way down; hole hunting is what it is and burns more energy. 

I will be doing some video of different fins very soon so you guys can see how different fins react.  If you have questions about any of the carbons and you want to know from other than me here is a list of some of the people who have recently switched to some of my blades:

Charlie IcecoldChuck: Leaderfin Composite with Salvimar pocket to Spear Pro 1.3 in Pathos Pocket
Kris LiveAlohaKris: Mako Fiberglass to Bleutec Spearo in Pathos Pocket
Rob Rob102: Moana in Pathos to Bleutec Checkmate in Pathos Pocket
Adam Adam415: Omer Records in Mako Pocket to Bleutec Free in Pathos Pocket
Steve Lorikay: DiveR FG in Mares to Subcraft in Pathos Pocket (Also tested Spear Pro)
Aaron Flyingdutchman: Mako FG to Spear Pro 1.2 in Pathos Pocket
Joey Diverjoe: Leaderfin stiff in Pathos to DiveR FG in Mares to Spear Pro 1.2 in Pathos Pocket
Jason O'Donnell: FG to Subcraft in Pathos Pocket
Jim BigJim: Mares Razer Pro plastic to Bleutec Blades in Pathos Pocket

I personally have used and tested: Jetfins, Omer Eaglerays, Mako Plastics, Mako Pure Carbon/Leaderfin Pure Carbon, DiveR FG in Mares, Moana hybrid softs in Pathos, Bleutec Spearo in Pathos Pocket, Subcrafts in Pathos pocket, Spear Pros in Pathos pocket, and C4 Blue Flap in Pathos Pocket.

Blades can be a huge help with making sure your dive is more enjoyable, bottom times are better and you can stay out longer without feeling the drain from a stiff blade and heavy pocket. Can it be done with plastics?  Absolutely but for longer days on the water and if you want your legs to last softer carbon is the only way to go.

Best of luck and let me know if I can help in anyway!  If you wear a size 9-11 you can try some of my personal blades and see if it helps!

Matt
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:31:22 PM by DamaniJ »

Offline CabKing65

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 05:18:51 PM »
Thanks for that Input  RED Matt, Sweet write up
AKA SnowKing, 

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 05:28:56 PM »
I attest that the difference between the leaderfins in Salvimar pockets and the spear pros in pathos pockets is night and day. So much more comfortable and energy efficient.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:34:41 PM by IceColdChuck »
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline mousemanx

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 06:28:03 PM »
Yes, wow...Thanks for that!  I knew someday I'd have to make the jump.  Seems more urgent now if I'm going to be comfortable and stay out longer

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt