collapse

Author Topic: Cooking whole Lingcod  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Amsmosh

Cooking whole Lingcod
« on: May 03, 2015, 01:19:54 PM »
I have a whole Ling sitting in my freezer that I shot yesterday. Most of the time I just fillet them but I wanted to try cooking one whole. I was wondering if any of you guys has suggestions on how to cook a whole Ling? Thanks a ton guys.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline DG

Cooking whole Lingcod
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »
I haven't tried any whole but look forward to seeing what others have done.

When I went to Thailand everything was cooked whole.  Heads on fish and feet on chicken.  I don't have a problem with it, but my wife doesn't like her food looking at her. 

I don't like wasting food, but if I don't eat it it is turned into crab bait or fertilizer so not really wasted. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:31:17 PM by DG »

Offline Yowlie

Re: Cooking whole Lingcod
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 01:35:29 PM »
coat the body and body cavity with a mix of 3 parts olive oil to one part tamari.  Don't leave a lot of that in the pan bottom or it will burn and caramelize. Preheat oven to broil or very high bake (500).  put ling in casserole pan or roasting pan and put in for up to 30 minutes depending on size and starting temp of fish.  put some tinfoil over the pan or at least the body of the fish for the last 10 minutes.  Take it out when the meat comes cleanly off the spinal column.  Let it cool a little.  Sautee some vegetables (broccoli, snow peas, etc . . .)in a separate pan with ginger garlic and olive oil.  Arrange that mix on a bed of rice.  Arrange chunks of ling on top of the vegetables and pour some of the juice from the roasting pan over the meat.  Roll yourself a week's pay of a doobie.  Turn on three televisions.  Start going through the phone book and calling people with female sounding names and wait . . .  you are off to the races.

Offline JackSquirt

• We're life takers and heart breakers
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 02:04:45 PM »
Roll yourself a week's pay of a doobie.  Turn on three televisions.  Start going through the phone book and calling people with female sounding names and wait . . .  you are off to the races.

Remind me to never pass out with my shoes on when you're around...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 02:47:40 PM by JackSquirt »
Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAK_Ey3-Y0OQp06SLvni-pw

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 09:10:24 PM »
Roll yourself a week's pay of a doobie.  Turn on three televisions.  Start going through the phone book and calling people with female sounding names and wait . . .  you are off to the races.

Remind me to never pass out with my shoes on when you're around...

The only one who would mess with you in my house is the cat, but he is pretty twisted . . .

Offline capsandlings

• take whatcha' can, give nothin back!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 07:43:51 PM »
If I were you I would cook a cabezon, not a lingcod. Now why I say that is because the skin on a cabezon is delicious! there are no scales, nothin. Just beautiful smoothe skin. Plus you are gonna have a tough time fitting that fat ass ling in a cooking pot/pan. As cooking goes, you could simply put it in a pan, fill the cavity with tomato sauce, garlic, parsley and baby red potatoes and bake it. It is absolutely delicious and the meat falls right off of the bone! Another way is to fill the cavity with tomato sauce or your sauce of choice fill it with mushrooms garlic etc. wrap it in foil and cook it on a BBQ. You can "bake" it on the BBQ and it will give the fish a nice smoky texture that you won't get from the oven.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt