collapse

Author Topic: Since humans are naturally buoyant in sea water....  (Read 7726 times)

Offline bluestar

Since humans are naturally buoyant in sea water....
« on: April 24, 2015, 06:08:53 AM »
Would it be correct to say that, assuming water temperature is not an issue, as long as a person has a snorkel pipe he/she should not drown in the sea?

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
Re: Since humans are naturally buoyant in sea water....
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 06:51:04 AM »
Are you planning on being stranded at sea? Without flotation of some sort everyone will eventually drown. We are more buoyant in sea water but it still requires effort to stay afloat either horizontally on the surface or treading water vertically.

Offline JackSquirt

• We're life takers and heart breakers
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 07:39:58 AM »
I think bouyancy varies person to person based on an individuals body composition. People with a lot of muscle content and no fat seem to have a tougher time floating while people with a lot of fat content are more "flotatious"
Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAK_Ey3-Y0OQp06SLvni-pw

Offline John

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 08:24:02 AM »
I don't float in saltwater too often in just swim trunks but in fresh water my feet sink and pull me down. I have been told that I have a lead foot so maybe that's the problem.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Nick F

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 09:34:43 AM »
Your question makes me nervous... what are you planning, exactly? If a person is uncomfortable in the water, I wouldn't assume they're going to be okay in the ocean just because they have a snorkel.

Offline TheFlyingDutchman

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 10:10:26 AM »
I think your math is off
-Aaron Sturtevant

Offline bluestar

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 02:54:18 PM »
My question is just out of curiosity.  Us living in northern California don't have a lot of chance to swim in ocean without a wetsuit.  I was in Hawaii last year and did that. I floated without a wetsuit.  It was an amusing feeling.

Hence my question.

Offline gsharp

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 04:59:21 PM »
The Pacific Ocean surrounding Hawaii is about 75 degrees.  If you float long enough in it you will eventually get hypothermia, which is not good for longevity either.
Glen Sharp

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 07:09:51 PM »
It's good for people who might end up in the water to know that they float, though.  Panicking and thinking that you are sinking will definitely drown you; cold water affects judgment and makes it worse.  The other things that are good to know are: to catch your breath first thing, and you've got 30 minutes even in the coldest water.  Also swimming worsens hypothermia in the long run but it warms you up a lot in the short term.  If you have a destination, swim for it.  If not, stay balled up.  Cold water swimming is very much a mental exercise.  If someone believes they can swim a mile in 50 degrees, which many people can do, then they are much more likely to survive that situation.

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 08:20:24 PM »
When our skin gets immersed in water for long periods, our lymph begins to pass through our skin...we are dehydrating. Dish-pan hands is an example. The skin gets wrinkly because the moisture is actually coming out of it. This phenomena, which is caused by the specific gravities of the two liquids, is typically what causes people to pass out when forced into warm water for extended periods. The autopsy shows drowning as the cause of death, but it's actually passing of from dehydration that precedes drowning.

I believe the forgoing is true, but I am not an expert.
The Lord has given us the seafood; let us enjoy it.

Offline bluestar

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 08:30:59 PM »
Maybe I should re-phrase my question a bit...  I don't mean being able to soak in sea water forever and live; just that I imagine if my boat were to capsize in the Caribbeans and I have a mask and snorkel, based on my experience about salt water buoyancy it seems I will die of thirst, or dehydration, or hunger, or shark bite, or even sunburn, before I die of drowning...

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 08:33:16 PM »
When our skin gets immersed in water for long periods, our lymph begins to pass through our skin...we are dehydrating. Dish-pan hands is an example. The skin gets wrinkly because the moisture is actually coming out of it. This phenomena, which is caused by the specific gravities of the two liquids, is typically what causes people to pass out when forced into warm water for extended periods. The autopsy shows drowning as the cause of death, but it's actually passing of from dehydration that precedes drowning.

I believe the forgoing is true, but I am not an expert.

I'm not an expert either, but this sounds like what passes through the south end of a north bound bovine.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 08:45:01 PM »
Maybe I should re-phrase my question a bit...  I don't mean being able to soak in sea water forever and live; just that I imagine if my boat were to capsize in the Caribbeans and I have a mask and snorkel, based on my experience about salt water buoyancy it seems I will die of thirst, or dehydration, or hunger, or shark bite, or even sunburn, before I die of drowning...

I don't know the difference between thirst and dehydration, but I'm rooting for the shark bite. All the other ways you listed sound fairly forgettable.

Offline Jason Blalock

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 10:36:18 PM »
I think your math is off
i think YOUR math is off. Now what?

Offline James Toboni

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 11:06:49 PM »
Precisely why I eat fast food. Buoyancy.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt