collapse

Author Topic: OC Article  (Read 7296 times)

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline the_derek

Re: OC Article
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 12:43:04 PM »
good article. Kind of want to go to Kelpfest.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 01:03:52 PM »
I believe this lady was just appointed as an alternate to the RAAC for the southern seats.

Offline pistolero

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 01:40:43 PM »
God bless her efforts!

Here is why no one would ever bother trying such a project on the Central Coast:

They never stop eating, up to 30% of their body weight per day.  Took every last living Pismo Clam in the County in a matter of months.

Pray they never cross SF Bay!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:52:20 PM by pistolero »

Offline pistolero

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 01:57:44 PM »
A more recent sea otter census:

Offline Ptown707

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 02:00:29 PM »
I have seen otters in gualala.
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 02:15:46 PM »
I have seen otters in gualala.

Possibly river otters? I've seen river otters in Sea Ranch.

Offline pistolero

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 02:33:39 PM »
Wow I hope it wasn't a sea otter!

I would guess they can be hard to distinguish if you don't get a good look:

River otter:

Sea otters:

Wet sea otter:

Offline Ptown707

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 02:34:40 PM »
Not a river otter

Offline pistolero

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 02:41:28 PM »
That's terrible news.  They're federally protected and have no real predators.  If they populate up there in numbers, it could really hurt the abalone. 

Offline Ptown707

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 02:52:43 PM »
Not a river otter
When was this? Not good news for abalone. I don't necessarily condone it, but I'm guessing a local might have "taken care of it" by now.

Offline pistolero

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »
Thanks for the link Ianz.  That was a good read, informative (e.g., now I know we are dealing with Southern Sea otters), and the article is honest, for a change.  Down where I live, you're not allowed to say bad things about sea otters.  Pundits will angrily deny they wiped out the Pismo Clam here, and try to blame it on poachers, which is hogwash.  Park Rangers watched them do it.

The reason they are such a threat is, when they find a food source, they park on it.  This is especially devastating to abalone, which must be within 3-4 feet of each other to reproduce.  If a group of sea otters finds one, they'll keep going back to the same spot until they take them all, so on one group of rocks, they can wipe out all future generations.  It's why we have no clams here, and no hope of ever re-introducing abalone.

When and if sea otters try to populate up there, be advised: environmental groups will tell you they pose no threat to abalone stocks.  Don't believe them.  They will claim history proves the 2 species can co-exist, conveniently ignoring that historically, Native Americans and greater numbers of GWS's kept their numbers in check, which predators no longer exist in sufficient numbers.

Also scary about sea otters:  they can't be re-located.  If they find a food source, they will find it again no matter where you transplant them.

Sea otters are adorable animals and are really, really really cute.  But they are not worth it, and in my opinion, are even cuter dead. :D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 03:35:05 PM by pistolero »

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 03:47:49 PM »
I've written the reporter, complementing the article and asking for data used in the report. She replied, "If you call the state Fish and Wildlife Agency, they can help you with that." It was a very good read, I liked it, but her inability to answer my question shows one of the problems with the way information is provided to the public - it's largely hearsay. The public deserves better. This is how we end up on the short end of the stick. Even when unintentional, politics is affected and decisions are heavily influenced.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Ptown707

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 06:16:31 PM »
Saw it two years ago in Gualala at a cove my buddy and I have dove for a few years.   We were like. ...is that an otter?  Sure enough it was,  and the cove was cleaned out of abalone.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt