collapse

Author Topic: 2 abalone diver dead third missing  (Read 4138 times)

Offline DG

Re: 2 abalone diver dead third missing
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 08:29:34 AM »
Caspar was diveable that day.  Just not from the south cliffs as a NW swell was slamming it.   

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 08:36:08 AM »
Okay, it was just a thought. Sad regardless.

Offline DG

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 10:22:21 AM »

Okay, it was just a thought. Sad regardless.

I totally get it.  It is sad for all of them, their friends, family, other divers and first responders that have to keep recovering bodies.

One of the spouses was asking why people are even allowed to dive for them if people are dying.  We don't need a diving ban because people die in many activities.  People take risks and we all know something unexpected could happen like a shark bite or heart attack. 

One of the comments in the paper that I read that made a lot of sense was that you should only dive in a location that is adequate to the least experienced diver in the group. 

Offline John

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 02:03:15 PM »
One of the spouses was asking why people are even allowed to dive for them if people are dying.  We don't need a diving ban because people die in many activities.  People take risks and we all know something unexpected could happen like a shark bite or heart attack. 

Is abalone diving really that dangerous?  The associated Press article in the Chico paper today said "several deaths every year".  They went on to cite one example of an abalone diver who fell from a cliff and died.

It is said that driving is the most dangerous thing that we do. I worry a lot more about my kids driving than diving. Fluke occurrences aside, we are pretty much in complete control of our safety when diving. But when driving some moron can ruin your life.

Obviously I an dismayed at the loss of life of any diver but I cringe at the thought of nondivers thinking diving ought to be illegal. If the divers in question were spearfishing instead of abalone diving would they have been safer that day? What if it was a dare to swim across Caspar Cove?

I don't feel like I am "taking a risk" when I go diving. I dive safely. all of my friends that I dive with are safe and my kids are under my watchful eye at all times.

I hope everyone can keep this in perspective; it is a tragic, tragic event no doubt. But hopefully it causes newbies to dive safer, instead of causing all of us to be viewed as big risk takers.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 02:07:59 PM »

Is abalone diving really that dangerous?  The associated Press article in the Chico paper today said "several deaths every year".  They went on to cite one example of an abalone diver who fell from a cliff and died.

It is said that driving is the most dangerous thing that we do. I worry a lot more about my kids driving than diving. Fluke occurrences aside, we are pretty much in complete control of our safety when diving. But when driving some moron can ruin your life.

Obviously I an dismayed at the loss of life of any diver but I cringe at the thought of nondivers thinking diving ought to be illegal. If the divers in question were spearfishing instead of abalone diving would they have been safer that day? What if it was a dare to swim across Caspar Cove?

I don't feel like I am "taking a risk" when I go diving. I dive safely. all of my friends that I dive with are safe and my kids are under my watchful eye at all times.

I hope everyone can keep this in perspective; it is a tragic, tragic event no doubt. But hopefully it causes newbies to dive safer, instead of causing all of us to be viewed as big risk takers.

Really will said John.

Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,

Jim

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt