collapse

Author Topic: 2 abalone diver dead third missing  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Spike

2 abalone diver dead third missing
« on: April 12, 2015, 08:02:36 PM »
Just saw this in the PD. Two divers have perished at Caspar cove and another missing.  Report says they were visiting from the east coast and decided to go abalone diving. You don't "just go" abalone diving just as you wouldn't "just go" skydiving without lots of training and practice.

Vear sad but this is what happens when you think the north coast is like swimming in a pool.
SRJ

Offline DG

2 abalone diver dead third missing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 08:07:50 PM »
So sad and avoidable.  I had some divers want to dive today and I passed.  I walked my dog at several locations and found a few spots that I would have dove but knowing that area I would not have entered where they did. 

If conditions are bad this coming weekend just hang out for the BBQ and have a good time unless you know your dive spots really well.  There are protective coves and no need to get slammed into rocks. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:20:56 AM by DG »

Offline TheFlyingDutchman

Re: 2 abalone diver dead third missing
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 09:00:50 PM »
What a horrible thing to happen. Especially at the very place we will all be at next weekend. I have little hopes of diving if the forecast stays the same.
-Aaron Sturtevant

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 09:16:02 PM »
What a horrible thing to happen. Especially at the very place we will all be at next weekend. I have little hopes of diving if the forecast stays the same.

You should be able to dive in the cove or head down to van damme Aaron.

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 10:39:35 PM »
RIP brothers.

MN

Offline the_derek

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:10:36 AM by the_derek »
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline bluestar

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 11:08:35 AM »
How big was the waves yesterday at Casper?  (I was at Monterey Breakwater and it was a beautiful calm day)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
How big was the waves yesterday at Casper?  (I was at Monterey Breakwater and it was a beautiful calm day)

I don't know buy today is 6 to 9 with almost 2' south swell.  If yesterday was similar the south of Caspar would have been a washing machine.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 11:16:12 AM »

"They may have been in the water mere minutes before they found themselves in trouble, apparently having entered off a rocky portion of coast where “there is a lot of churn,” instead of from the soft beach, where the water tends to be calmer....
...There was speculation that at least some of the divers may have been inexperienced....."

Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 01:01:10 PM »
What a disaster for their families.  I wonder how much weight they had, or if they even knew about ditching belts. 

Offline Benny

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 04:19:07 PM »

I swung by yesterday morning and the cove was fairly calm near the beach. But it was going off at the mouth. Water was coming over the top of some of the bigger wash rocks near the south point. I had a noob with me and didn't remotely consider taking him out there. Went to Russian Gulch and it was flat except near the points. Really sad, an absolute tragedy for their family and friends.

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 06:14:24 AM »
This is horrible. Kinda makes me wonder if the people running the campground and shop should have warned this group of out-of-state visitors that the water was rough and dangerous.

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 07:37:12 AM »
Why?  These people were not camping, and the camp doesn't run the beach.  I am sure they would have said something had they been out, just like we would have.  I watched a couple guys getting f-ed up on opening day at VDB a couple years ago, at the little wash rock.  We ran down and helped them out.  Funny thing is, it was doable from the middle of the beach, especially if they waited a half hour.

Check the weather, check the cams, hell...check this board and find out before you go.  Don't drive over and feel "forced" to go because "I drove all this way".
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Offline DG

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 08:04:39 AM »
Not sure if they rented from subsurface or not but I have been in there numerous times when inexperienced renters wanted to try ab diving.  Not once did they ever recommend going off the cliffs and not a sheltered beach

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 08:28:11 AM »
Why?  These people were not camping, and the camp doesn't run the beach.

I'm not saying they should be legally obligated or anything, but a little friendly advice to these out-of-towners like "Hey there's a big swell today, go down to Van Damme" could have saved their lives. Maybe the woman at the shop did warn them, but I'm assuming not since her quote in the article makes no mention.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt