collapse

Author Topic: Abalone Watch at Glass Beach  (Read 12434 times)

Offline Joshua R.

Re: Abalone Watch at Glass Beach
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 10:16:33 PM »
None of us are paid. Sometimes we get reimbursed for mileage but not always. I think I've asked to be reimbursed twice in the last 3 years. Never for lunch or extravagant meals as you say, just mileage. We volunteer because we're passionate, not because we want to get paid.

WA has no members. The best way you can support us is by getting involved. Write letters when we need to. Show up at meetings when we need to make a showing, or just by talking with us about the issues and letting us know your ideas or opinions.  Saying thank you is a good way to let us know we're on the right track and I appreciate that kind of support most. If you want to support what we're doing by making a donation, go ahead. If you don't then don't. If you don't know what we're doing then ask. I'm not that hard to find. For future reference though, I don't respond well to someone insulting me that I've never even met or had any interaction with whatsoever.

You are correct that the money isn't really going anywhere. I do have a budget to spend on the FMP process to host meetings or other workshops when the time comes. As a 501(c)3 there are rules about how we can spend it. I know your comment about us donating to other non profits was relating to some charities that take your money for one reason and donate it to another charity that can have the opposite agenda. We don't transfer to any other organizations.

The reason you don't hear from the other delegates is because they're all over the state. Brandi and I are the local delegates and  I am the lead on the abalone issue. We have delegates from many of the dive clubs in the state that keep those clubs informed. This allows us to get support from divers statewide for local issues.

If anyone is serious about wanting a financial report, just ask me to get it. I'll ask the treasurer to e-mail it to you, in fact I'll just plan on bringing a copy Saturday.

Offline WET ROOSTER

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 10:18:44 PM »
Monkeyfacedeel-----Some would say that many CPA's are out right trained in acts of deception as well.... as for SCAN and WA, you should do some more research by talking to individuals who are involved in those groups before you jump on a dive site and tear them down.  I don't claim to have any or all the answers but I have seen some of their work first hand just recently and I can tell you that they are doing a great job trying to protect diver rights and abalone habitats
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 10:54:00 PM by WET ROOSTER »

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 10:40:20 PM »
I am a member of SCAN and WA; I believe they are doing what they say and have seen enough of their work to send them my money. Ugly fact, I go diving and stuff seafood down my throat, I don't do anything to maintain diver's rights.
The Lord has given us the seafood; let us enjoy it.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 10:45:06 PM »
SCAN provides financial reports to members. Pm milo for info

Offline Monkeyfacedeel

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 10:54:29 PM »
I highly respect Josh's honesty and fast response.  Being transparent is in it self a sign of honesty that many other Non profits can not accomplish.  Bringing your paperwork to the meet and greet is going above and beyond the call of duty and I think I will be supporting your group with my time and dime.  It's just hard to belive that you could be such a good guy with other groups failing our needs.  If you need help up dateing your website I can get you in touch with some guys that can make it easy for you to just post text to make it easy. 

Yeah CPA's are trained to know the loopholes but id be a millionair for every time a LLC or non profit tried to get me to help them with thier dodgy paper work.  Dealing with non profits I thought I would be Doing business with strait shooters but that's the farthest from the truth.

So WA works thier ass off for free, has transparency and doesn't have any member dues but takes donations.

Waiting for Scan response but I don't think they can be as transparent as Josh for I'm thinking they took in alot of money comparatively......

I've got friends in Scan and maw.  Now I know why I dont have any friends in WA

I don't want to have to pay to see group members non profit numbers, that's shady...
Tell Milo to open up and be transparent for the same of the abalone.  Why do non profits always seem to profit the board members the most?

Scan will take your money and give you pointless email update once a year with DfW bust list cut and pasted from newspapers , at least maw actually does something real and works together in public for other activities than trying to get more donations....how many people have scan busted?  I heard rumors that scans members have more violations than MAW members have busted.... Funny but scary if its true...

What has scan done as a group in public that is not related to dive comp fundraising?
Monthly meetings?  Group lobby efforts?  Do they meet in a group to go over budget and ways to hide those details from memebers? No one knows where your 20$ goes....

Grass roots efforts work best when there are no donations required..
Problems cannot be solved with donations, we can't pay our way out of the issues at hand.
maw's hands at work do more than scans holding of 20$ donations.
If Scan was more vigilant like maw I would be a little more supportive.

Rocky  Is member of scan and RAAC and Ncuwh and I'm guessing has anti poaching maw like feelings.  Rocky seems very brutaly honest, Which one group so far has had biggest impact, or bang for the buck if you had to factor in everything..??
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:03:58 PM by Monkeyfacedeel »

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 12:40:41 AM »
Monkey face, are you going to be at the meet and greet? 

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 01:29:04 AM »
I thought Todd got the boot a long time ago? I guess he slithered his way back in the form of a stinky eel looking fish.

Offline John

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 06:19:38 AM »
Josh ... good job. Thanks.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 06:23:41 AM »
SCAN officers don't get paid either.  Do you realize how offensive it is to attack us on a public forum with these bull shit accusations?  You heard from a friend blah blah blah and then came here and instead of politely, or even nicely, asking us for clarification you make a bunch of statements that make us look like ass holes.

Pretty much everything you've been told is BS.

Rocky is not a member of SCAN.  He is a former board member, as is Matt Mattison.  Matt is the only BOD member, to my knowledge, to ever get a DFW citation.  If you want to know about it, ask him.  He's right here.  Maybe do it in a PM or in person if you'd like to be polite.

As for MAW.  If you want to support them, go ahead but you should know that they are actively lobbying to reduce your daily and annual limits.  I can make that statement because I was at the meeting in Sacramento when they asked to reduce the daily limit to 2 and the annual limit to 12 with a sub-limit of 6 in Sonoma.  Several other members of this forum where there with me so if you'd like someone to corroborate my statement, ask.

Stop making baseless accusations and get some facts before you come on here and slam us.

Offline Monkeyfacedeel

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 08:27:25 AM »
Wait Josh you can attack MAW all you want but get uber butt hurt when soneone calls out your non action?

I like maw, I respect thier asking for 2/12 abs.  You high graders are greedy, a 9" Ab feeds 6 people. Most people only take 8 a year and majority don't bitch like babies about it...

I have friends who have wasted thier money on scan, you pay money and nothing happens, no mailings, no group get together, no action.  Maybe the opposition knows that it's only a few people that don't have any real clout or support.  Why doesn't scan put on its own fundraiser rather than leaching off others?!? Pathetic, can't even help themselves

Josh is so proud of his web site yet has not be update from 2013! That shows how much you care-Very professional josh, let me guess from your bio you must not have enough time to cut and past your updates.  How can you help abalone if you can't even update you website, but you bio was well written.

Wasn't Rocky a founding member of scan, I thought I read that.

I don't want to be on a site that founder got violations for poaching, that's just something I can't support, I guess the rumors are true.  He goes and gives talk and writes letters but fails to mention he got busted for poaching? 

I'm out if here, you guys keep diving van damn to death, there is no glory in that..

NCUH=nor cal underwater high-graders

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 08:34:19 AM »
If only I could believe you troll.  You're just here to start shit.  You're absolutely right, I've got better things to do.  If anyone wants any information about what SCAN or WA please just ask.  I'm more than willing to field questions.

Offline DG

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 09:13:08 AM »
Wow cool thread jack. 

Admin:  feel free to delete thread as this was not very productive and won't help new divers in the future.  I will try harder to only post on things that will benefit the diver community. 

My main reason for posting MAW parking violations was because I have seen some of them in action and they were selective in who they were looking at.  I mean racial profiling and as I remember others on here get really offended when members make stupid comments so if you witnessed those actions firsthand it would probably change your mind about them also.

Offline Chet

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 09:14:22 AM »
Wait Josh you can attack MAW all you want but get uber butt hurt when soneone calls out your non action?

I like maw, I respect thier asking for 2/12 abs.  You high graders are greedy, a 9" Ab feeds 6 people. Most people only take 8 a year and majority don't bitch like babies about it...

I have friends who have wasted thier money on scan, you pay money and nothing happens, no mailings, no group get together, no action.  Maybe the opposition knows that it's only a few people that don't have any real clout or support.  Why doesn't scan put on its own fundraiser rather than leaching off others?!? Pathetic, can't even help themselves

Josh is so proud of his web site yet has not be update from 2013! That shows how much you care-Very professional josh, let me guess from your bio you must not have enough time to cut and past your updates.  How can you help abalone if you can't even update you website, but you bio was well written.

Wasn't Rocky a founding member of scan, I thought I read that.

I don't want to be on a site that founder got violations for poaching, that's just something I can't support, I guess the rumors are true.  He goes and gives talk and writes letters but fails to mention he got busted for poaching? 

I'm out if here, you guys keep diving van damn to death, there is no glory in that..

NCUH=nor cal underwater high-graders

What the hell ?
You must be one of the guys that got banned before.
Dive and Fish.
San Jose, CA

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »
ADMN HAT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok one is allowed to have there opinion of the various groups, but this thread has started to turn into a smash and shit talk session and attacks are starting to happen on members. I will delete this thread and if have to put members on waring or suspension !!! Please keep your reply's relevant to the topic and act mature. I have to say I was once associated with Scan and can vouch for a fact that none of the board members are getting paid for the fact most of the time they are pulling out of there own pockets and they do all this for the love of abalone diving.  They give up weekends to go diving and fishing to travel to meeting and coordinate upcoming issues. Just cause they do not waist time and resources on a monthly new letter does not mean they are not at the front lines fighting for our best interest and the fisheries best interest. Monkey face if you do not like what we have going on here or the advocate groups out there step up and start your own and fill the void and need.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:20:50 AM by MATT MATTISON »
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 09:18:12 AM »
Step 1: Introduce Self as Rock Picker/MFE expert.
Step 2: Insult SCAN, WA and everyone on the board with baseless accusations.
Step 3: Go away forever and leave everyone wondering if Todd was feeling lonely. 
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt