collapse

Author Topic: Abalone Watch at Glass Beach  (Read 12406 times)

Offline DG

Abalone Watch at Glass Beach
« on: April 12, 2015, 12:18:20 PM »
You would think when you are claiming to stop law violators that you could at least park legally so you yourself are not violating the law.  Guess not. 

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: Abalone Watch at Glass Beach
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 04:56:48 PM »
Do you think that no parking zone is there just for them and DFG?  I do.

Offline DG

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 05:44:39 PM »

Do you think that no parking zone is there just for them and DFG?  I do.

I do think that all the parking spots were full and people were parking in residential areas.  They should have built a bigger parking lot.  They should make an official police stall for those times they want to walk around and keep an eye on their vehicle.  Ab watch is not the police and people were having a hard time turning around because of them.  Just thought it was rude to say the least.  DFW probably wouldn't cite them but they could.  I just think it's funny when people are selective on what laws need to be followed.  It's like having neighborhood watch in your neighborhood.  Should they park in red zones or handicap spots because they claim to be keeping an eye on the neighborhood.  There were groups of individuals at the other end where no one was watching and they had divers carrying gear and others walking away from them with bags.  They easily could have walked past the ab watch guys anyways without ever really verifying how many abalone were taken or if they were legal. 

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 07:43:03 PM »
I'm sure that FBPD & DFG would rather have MAW illegally parked making a presence known to cut down on potentially easy poaching.  Citizens having a convenient turn around spot probably worries the police and wardens about as much whether McDonald's is bringing the McRib back.

Offline DG

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 07:56:57 PM »
Hate the mcribs

Offline Monkeyfacedeel

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 07:57:53 PM »
MAW, we all love to hate them....

Even with no website they can get standing room only for volunteers.
http://www.advocate-news.com//general-news/20140327/mendocino-abalone-watch-training-brings-in-volunteers

One thing you got to give them credit for is showing up and doing things in public.

Ive been reading about our local groups, kind of depressing...
Seems like we have SCAN and WA but that's not really a group effort, only a few do the work with majority of people's donations.  I'd like to see thier budget and thier accounting if its really a not for profit working on our behalf!
WA website had good web site write ups about thier board members but not much real group meetings or pro active events.

SCAN web site worse with no updates and more secretive nature, but they still ask for money and we will email you once a year, why is that?

Why is it those MAW people can organize a army of dedicated free workers and all our so called hunting advocacy non profit groups like SCAN that want our money can only put on a yearly dive event where no real civil action takes place?

All groups are self serving......off my rant
John

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:01:26 PM by Monkeyfacedeel »

Offline gsharp

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 08:09:01 PM »
MAW, we all love to hate them....

Why is it those MAW people can organize a army of dedicated free workers and all our so called hunting advocacy non profit groups like SCAN that want our money can only put on a yearly dive event where no real civil action takes place?

All groups are self serving......off my rant
John

Friedrich Nietzsche answers your question with his concept of the will to power.
Glen Sharp

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 08:11:37 PM »
MAW has a bunch of people who are sick and tired of seeing their local resources stolen. Many are retired and it gives them something to do and a reason to interact with divers.

SCAN & WA are doing a fine job representing us. If you don't want to volunteer, please send a check.

Offline DG

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 08:14:58 PM »
No need to join up with them.  If I see something that needs to be reported I call it in.  I write down license plates or take pictures as needed.  I have called in several tips and watched odd behavior folks many times.  What I don't do is pretend I have search rights that I don't and tell people I want to look at their abalone.  People that don't know better think they have a right to do it and they don't.  I would rather they just watch from shore and if they see shady stuff to call a warden. 

Offline gsharp

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 08:17:08 PM »
SCAN & WA are doing a fine job representing us. If you don't want to volunteer, please send a check.

I would second this.

Glen Sharp

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 08:18:49 PM »
No need to join up with them.  If I see something that needs to be reported I call it in.  I write down license plates or take pictures as needed.  I have called in several tips and watched odd behavior folks many times.  What I don't do is pretend I have search rights that I don't and tell people I want to look at their abalone.  People that don't know better think they have a right to do it and they don't.  I would rather they just watch from shore and if they see shady stuff to call a warden. 

Or we could go back to the old days and pay them a dollar a year, give them a badge and they could take your abalone and let you straighten it out in court.

Offline Monkeyfacedeel

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 08:40:17 PM »
MAW has a bunch of people who are sick and tired of seeing their local resources stolen. Many are retired and it gives them something to do and a reason to interact with divers.

I'm a CPA who works with llc and non profits, show me the taxes, accounting And make those statements transparent for members, then I will decide if they are doing good job!
I've seen too many clients take advantage of thier members in the name of doing a good job representing us.  How many free meals do those guys eat out of members funds? Show me the taxes or guilty as charged...

Groups that take in thousands with no public accounting, once yearly web updates are major red flags in the accounting world

Real non profits that don't do much and sit on members donations should be growing the money.

Say scan collects 10,000$ a year from members and dive comp.

Is that number a good estimate?
How many members are there?

Usually real non profits with members list thier membership numbers unless they hide something for tax reasons! Lol

So if they have 10,000$ they should have it in a investment that's making at least 10%
That's 1,000$ a year of growth.

Does scan or WA or MAW grow thier money or just spend it and ask for increased contributions?!?
Post your yearly records for members or public to view if your not commiting any crimes....

What a joke.....

Does WA give members donations to the DFW to fight poaching like scan does?
Another joke- Why would I want the DFW to get my hard earned dough? Isn't scan supposed to be the option for those who think DGW is not doing a good enough job protecting the resource?

Give me a badge, save your buck,  and I will bust all the phony non-profit groups along with the poachers.

Cal tip is great but only if your cell phone works:)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 09:05:18 PM by Monkeyfacedeel »

Offline DG

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 08:52:50 PM »
I wasn't a diver in the old days Rob.  Love your guys stories on how the limit used to be 4 or 7 per day and no yearly limit.  A lot has changed I am sure.  Giving someone a dollar and some authority doesn't work well these days.  If they work under the states guidance then they have to pay workers comp and other insurance claims.  I witnessed some serious racial profiling going on with MAW and see them in a different light now.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 09:24:09 PM »
Monkey face-  so far you've called me a thief, a liar, a joke, and that's just in this thread. nice to meet you too.

Offline Monkeyfacedeel

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 09:47:31 PM »
Well Josh I've seen too many nonprofits embezzle or misrepresent their members!

You sure sound like a good group, your bios are longer than any real info you put on your web page.....

I have to say looks like you personally are attending meetings and sitting on the phone for RAAC and such, so that's very good. Kind of alot to do for one person, no one in your group wants to help or is it they don't get to use the funds like you do?  I think your group is more state wide correct? And abalone is not the top priority correct?

Scan has abalone as priority but it's president and most active members live in San Diego. With all the people blasting RAAC members for being out if area it's funny how scans members also don't live or have moved out of Sonoma and mendo...

Josh Here are some fair questions to ask-
Maybe a scan member can answer the same questions
It is tax time ,you should be prepared correct?

Josh, how many members does WA have?
How much did you bring in this year?
What kind of account was it held in?
If you didn't spend it all,is it invested for the good of everyone?
How much did you spend on DFW donations?
Did you donate to other non profits? How much?
Any web updates? How much did your yearly web site cost run, 50$ including email account?
 You sure post alot here but not update your website... That doesn't cost very much to do....I found more info for free on this web site about your organization than your organizations website, ironic to say the least.
And last but not least how much was personally spent on free lunches?

Sorry Josh I am very skeptical of orgs who ask for "pay to save" or result based research

Again people abuse the system and it's better to ask questions before donating.
Josh seems very passionate but Id like to see the accounting before I give my dime or time.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt