collapse

Author Topic: Dive Report: Otter Cove  (Read 905 times)

Offline ausbornhunter

Dive Report: Otter Cove
« on: April 09, 2015, 08:42:54 PM »
Chris and I dove Otter Cove today in Monterey. Conditions were phenomenal. low wind between 5-8 mph; swell was minimal at .5; Tide was low and flowing; 55 degrees (I'm guessing); Visibility was probably 20 ft vertical and the same or better horizontal. Sunny day with plenty of life both above and below us.

Chris stoned a MFE and then reloaded to plug another fish hiding in the same hole. The spear stuck deep into the rocks and it looked as if his dive might be over and himself might be $50-60 poorer. Both of us tried vigorously to free it. Chris almost lost his go pro when the line hung over him as he tried to free the spear and it also held him down a bit, which was not agreeable to him. In the end I was able to twist it free. Afterward I went to my own gun which was laying near an interesting hole I spotted. Picking it up and looking in I saw nothing and so glided over that structure and came directly over a well over legal sized Ling who was scouring out from the same direction as me and slightly ahead. Aimed up and pulled the trigger, but I had left the safety on! Struggled to click it off, but of course that was all the warning the ling needed to bolt and I got a good view of his graceful speed because of the long visibility. I attempted to track him down, but only succeeded in tiring myself out.

In the end the catch was 1 greenling, 1 lingcod, 1 black rock fish, 1 MFE. Warming up for Caspar next weekend. Some pictures, but I am too lazy to fiddle with that feature now. Thanks everyone looking forward to meeting you all.

-Estyn

Offline u/c spearo

Re: Dive Report: Otter Cove
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:19:51 PM »
Thanks for the report !!!

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:54:37 PM »
I just wrote a detailed incident report; again another post of mine has been lost to some reason photo too big; took to long too post; hit back on browser etc.
Really discouraging for posting on NCUH.
F it.
The Lord has given us the seafood; let us enjoy it.

Offline John

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 11:13:46 PM »
Aw man teasing us with it!lol

F it.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt