collapse

Author Topic: Sea Lion Nearly Drowns Man  (Read 7254 times)

Offline underwater1

Re: Sea Lion Nearly Drowns Man
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 09:26:34 PM »
I've never had an issue with a little one. It's always the big ones that are bold enough to approach with any hostility. I have them swim up without me knowing and bark in my ear at 50'. That's hell on the breath hold.

The Harbor Seal that took the tax from all of us at Gerstle was relatively small - maybe 125-150 lbs. He was tenacious. I have had larger Harbor Seals charge me just to flash their teeth at me as they came within inches of my face and zoomed off as if to say "This is my hunting grounds, M.F.  Get out of here."

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 09:37:04 PM »
Yeah, the seals are cute. I think sometimes people feed them or leave their fish hanging on the stringer. The seals learn how to get an easy meal. The sea lions don't seem to interact with me like the seals. There is one seal that knows me at MacKerricher. It likes to play hide and seek. I don't feed it though.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 10:18:54 PM »
I've never had a problem with harbor seals except for them being playfully curious and following my dive light to help them find fish. Sea Lions scare the shit our of me.

Offline Nick F

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 09:34:22 AM »
I've never had a problem with harbor seals except for them being playfully curious and following my dive light to help them find fish. Sea Lions scare the shit our of me.

Pretty much. I hate those poor visibility days when I can hear the sea lions swimming in circles around me but I can't see them... cuts my dive times in half.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 09:03:04 PM »
I carry my fish on a stringer on my belt. I have been pulled around a couple of times by sea lions and harbor seals. I just stop shooting fish when they rip me off.

Offline pistolero

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 06:09:24 AM »
Down here, in Avila Beach in 2003, a GWS attacked and killed a lady who liked to swim in the ocean in her black wetsuit.  Witnesses from the pier said the last thing they saw before the attack was some sea lions or seals swimming around her.  The pinnipeds all suddenly scattered and there she was, the slowest buffalo. 

In my eyes, they did it on purpose.  They set her up. ;D

I hate those fricken things.  They start coming around me in numbers, I'm out.  Jail time?  They should have paid him a bounty.  (joking).

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »
Yeah, the seals are cute. I think sometimes people feed them or leave their fish hanging on the stringer. The seals learn how to get an easy meal. The sea lions don't seem to interact with me like the seals. There is one seal that knows me at MacKerricher. It likes to play hide and seek. I don't feed it though.

We had a friendly NCUH dive at Gerstle Cove some year back.  A local harbor seal took a fish our two off of just about everyone of the 12 or so divers out.  I didn't like that dance.  That was the last day I kept may fish on a stringer off my weight belt.  I now secure them inside of a cooler relatively quickly after keeping them on the shooting line of my gun for a bit.

The local fisherman in Baja used to bludgeon them to death with a 2x4 with a jagged nail on the end when they went after their fish down there.

What are you going to do when a sea lion does an end around on you and takes off with your fish gun and all?

I will cross that bridge if it comes. I lt would be interesting to get into a tug of war with a small sea lion. I imagine if a 5000 lb elephant seal wanted to take my fish 2000 feet down for two hours, I would have to say good on ya big fella. Peace out:)

This happened to Nathan aka Sharkbait when we were diving the Carmel area a couple years ago. Nathan had a ling on his shooting line and a 200-300# female sea lion yanking on the ling. I swam over and shoved a cab in its face but it ignored my cab and kept barking at us and grabbing at the ling. Finally yhe tug of war ended and Nathan cut the line, the sea lion took the ling tossed it, followed Nathan back to his kayak all the while barking aggressively. I suspect Nathan unknowingly got too close to a pup. We moved spots and the rest of the day was fine.
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 09:39:30 PM »
If they made the bag limit 1 per year we wouldn't have to worry about them bothering us.

Just sayin'
Carpe piscem

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt