collapse

Author Topic: Sea Lion Nearly Drowns Man  (Read 7243 times)

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
Sea Lion Nearly Drowns Man
« on: April 06, 2015, 11:54:30 AM »
I have not heard a lot of concern in NorCal about sea lions attacking people or attempting to steal fish from divers.
In SoCal, experienced divers who use a stringer or NHT bag, attach a break-away carabineer to the system; especially if the system is attached to the diver instead of the spear gun.

Given that there is something making the sea lions starve here in NorCal, I would expect to see an increase in these kinds of incidents.

http://kron4.com/2015/04/06/sea-lion-pulls-fish-holding-man-into-san-diego-bay/
The Lord has given us the seafood; let us enjoy it.

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
Re: Sea Lion Nearly Drowns Man
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 12:04:10 PM »
I know one guy with a set of puncture wounds in his calf from those buggers. 

Offline DG

Sea Lion Nearly Drowns Man
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 12:29:32 PM »
I had a seal recently bite my ankle and fin but didn't puncture my suit.  Sure makes you pay attention to them when around.

Offline Monkeyfacedeel

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 12:38:17 PM »
Has anyone seen the vid of loleta Eric and his sealion attack salmon fishing shelter cove?

It's pretty scary, got away with a trophy for his client.

I've been diving there and been harassed by seals bumping and blowing bubbles as I got close to thier haul out rock. 

john Doerr-  but just call me John Doe
Aka monkeyfacedeel

Offline JackSquirt

• We're life takers and heart breakers
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 12:45:22 PM »
I don't know if it nearly drowned him but he was probably pretty rattled. A friend told me about a persistent harbor seal that kept coming back for their fish. It was plucking RF off the belt stringer and ended up hooking its tooth on the stringer and pulling the guy underwater. Scary stuff.

I only use belt stringers down south where I would have to swim a potentially big fish a significant distance back to the boat. Wouldn't swim around all day with fish hanging around my soft parts though.
Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAK_Ey3-Y0OQp06SLvni-pw

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 02:04:57 PM »

Is that that complete tool who is always showing off his scar?

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 02:20:09 PM »

Is that that complete tool who is always showing off his scar?

Keep your pants on.

Offline underwater1

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 05:17:01 PM »
We had a friendly NCUH dive at Gerstle Cove some year back.  A local harbor seal took a fish our two off of just about everyone of the 12 or so divers out.  I didn't like that dance.  That was the last day I kept may fish on a stringer off my weight belt.  I now secure them inside of a cooler relatively quickly after keeping them on the shooting line of my gun for a bit.

The local fisherman in Baja used to bludgeon them to death with a 2x4 with a jagged nail on the end when they went after their fish down there.

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 05:24:43 PM »
The local fisherman in Baja used to bludgeon them to death with a 2x4 with a jagged nail on the end when they went after their fish down there.

Not that I would condone the bludgeoning to death of pinnipeds, but spear-jab to the nose or mouth might make them think twice, especially if they don't get any fish out of it. They need to be taught that going after humans' fish is neither safe nor productive.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 05:26:23 PM »

Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 06:41:36 PM »
We had a friendly NCUH dive at Gerstle Cove some year back.  A local harbor seal took a fish our two off of just about everyone of the 12 or so divers out.  I didn't like that dance.  That was the last day I kept may fish on a stringer off my weight belt.  I now secure them inside of a cooler relatively quickly after keeping them on the shooting line of my gun for a bit.

What are you going to do when a sea lion does an end around on you and takes off with your fish gun and all?

Offline Travis Mills

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 07:46:44 PM »
ask the guy up here by Sacramento who shot the seal that kept stealing his salmon..  He shot it and did some time..  only took then a day to find him..  the actual shooting of the seal was up by Knights Landing off the bank if I remember correctly.

Told the family fishing right next to him, "you guys might not want to watch this"  shot it, loaded up his stuff and left..

The seal lived and got better treatment than any other American would have..  the guy that pulled the trigger got almost as much time as killing another human..  Not quite, but close..

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 08:34:11 PM »
ask the guy up here by Sacramento who shot the seal that kept stealing his salmon..  He shot it and did some time..  only took then a day to find him..  the actual shooting of the seal was up by Knights Landing off the bank if I remember correctly.

Told the family fishing right next to him, "you guys might not want to watch this"  shot it, loaded up his stuff and left..

The seal lived and got better treatment than any other American would have..  the guy that pulled the trigger got almost as much time as killing another human..  Not quite, but close..

Looks like he got a misdemeanor and 30 days jail.  I've seen the feds go after shooting a sea lion, too, but also as a misdemeanor.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2010/10/man-convicted-of-shooting-sea-lion-in-sacramento-river-is-sentenced-sea-lion-has-reconstructive-surg.html

Offline underwater1

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 09:02:48 PM »

What are you going to do when a sea lion does an end around on you and takes off with your fish gun and all?

I will cross that bridge if it comes. I lt would be interesting to get into a tug of war with a small sea lion. I imagine if a 5000 lb elephant seal wanted to take my fish 2000 feet down for two hours, I would have to say good on ya big fella. Peace out:) 

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 09:14:32 PM »
I've never had an issue with a little one. It's always the big ones that are bold enough to approach with any hostility. I have them swim up without me knowing and bark in my ear at 50'. That's hell on the breath hold.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt