collapse

Author Topic: SWS Dive Report for Saturday March 28th  (Read 1472 times)

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
SWS Dive Report for Saturday March 28th
« on: March 28, 2015, 11:20:21 PM »
Its usually around Betabel Road that I start having my doubts...the less than ideal forecasts, the fog, the chill, the naysayers...it all starts to take a toll. Then there is the warm, comfy bed I left hours before the first creep of dawn. But there we are; heading to dive anyway...cuz we are divers; it's what we do.

Nice to see Joshua R and a few other determined divers were already there at SWS suiting up and still predicting crap for viz, chop and surge...Jesus! Why bother?

I'll tell you "why bother". Cuz the pain of sleeping in and then reading someone else's dive report about how great the conditions actually turned out to be is far worse than my worst day of diving.

So Chet and I get in the water around high tide and viz is initially pretty bad; we moved to the other side of the cove; here viz is 20', negligible chop and manageable surge. Way better than sleeping in and hating myself for days afterwards.

I shot the same fish twice; a first for me. A decent size rubber lip was hugging some structure, not moving at all. I was not certain there was enough room on the far side of this fish for the flopper to engage. Sure enough, a head shot and my fish quickly wiggled off the shaft. Oh well.
So as I am reloading, I find some cartilage caught on my flopper hinge...with one of the fish's eyeballs flapping around in the surge. Overcome with humanistic compassion; I determined to find that fish and end it's misery. Out of the blue; I began to wonder if my fish, being severely injured, would not just return to where I first saw it.

Next drop I find the fish exactly where I first saw it, hugging the rock. I was so surprised I almost blundered right into it. The only difference was that the fish was facing the opposite direction; with it's good (only) eye against the rock. So the fish can't see me. This time would be different; I took my time and lined up a shot that would certainly allow enough of the shaft to pass through to ensure flopper engagement.

Spear tip to target was about three inches longer than the spear shaft length. With just two of the three bands on my mighty, overpriced piece-of-junk Riffe Metaltech drawn, the shaft destroyed both filets. Worse yet, I saw the flopper, though through, had failed to lock open. I did the ol' reach-around manual flopper engagement. This is when I realize that flopper issue was not that big of a problem; the fish can't go anywhere...my shaft is Excalibured in the rock.

A few more drops and I was able to get the shaft out; the point mushroomed like a hollow point bullet fired into ballistic jelly.

Chet got a nice stringer and I got two fish that will make a nice meal of finely cubed fish.

One final note; both before and after we dove, I noticed a very unusual amount of security officers making their presence apparent. I even asked one of them why there were so many officers clearly directing their attention at the divers. Introducing himself by his first name, Dave said there had been many complaints by PB club members about divers all-day parking by the club house, using the handicapped parking area to load and rinse yaks, drinking, smoking and carrying spear guns around.  :o

Another diver and myself, stressing we were not being argumentative, convinced him the spear gun thing was both legal and pretty much the norm for divers. After some radio banter with HQ, Dave conceded the spear gun issue. I mentioned I would pass along the Club's concerns.
Dave actually seemed like a pretty pleasant and reasonable guy...who knows where his paycheck is coming from.

Way better day than sleeping in. :)

The Lord has given us the seafood; let us enjoy it.

Offline Stinkbait

• Live to dive
Re: SWS Dive Report for Saturday March 28th
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 08:16:09 AM »
Some people really don't give a shit about the rules at sws they are gonna kick divers out for good if they keep it up. Its not hard to park up at the hedge row. Or to be mature and just load your stuff up and leave.

Offline DG

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 08:30:29 AM »
Some people really don't give a shit about the rules at sws they are gonna kick divers out for good if they keep it up. Its not hard to park up at the hedge row. Or to be mature and just load your stuff up and leave.

That would suck.  I still haven't dove there and can't wait until I can make it down there.  Hopefully someone will clue me in on the rules before I go. 

Offline Stinkbait

• Live to dive
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 08:36:33 AM »
Just park at the hedge row and your solid the people that go to the club are picky. Its like a 2 minute walk from the hedge row. The security is cool with letting you unload everything right there at the pier. Last time I was there there was guys showering in the parking lot with homemade showers and drinking beer. Ya I get that its nice to shower after a dive but that's not the place to do that stuff. Also people trash the bathrooms. I started diving there a year ago and its going downhill fast. In regards to how people treat the parking area.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 08:48:21 AM »
Best perch write up ever.

The parking at sws is a little inconvenient. The people who don't know the rules, who don't bother themselves to follow the rules, are going to get everyone run out of there.  The last time I was there they had shut down the showers.

Offline Stinkbait

• Live to dive
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 08:51:38 AM »
I was there after the PGA tour and had just unloaded everything and the security guy came down and said the parking lot was off limits to divers completely and make me leave. He said they can shut down the access whenever they want to.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 09:10:53 AM »
I don't believe that they can shut down access. They can shut down parking for us and make the non-members park all the way up on the other side of the main road. That would be a done deal for me.

I would prefer that they started towing the assholes. How would you like to get out of the water with your kayak, gear and fish only to find that your truck, money and clothes are in Monterey and you can't even get a cab to the wrecking yard. Might as well put a for sale sign on your stuff and start the walk of shame down 17 mile drive in your wetsuit.

I can't wait to read that "What I did wrong, learn from my mistake" thread.

Offline John

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 09:12:33 AM »
Best perch write up ever.

+1^ I especially liked the part where your humanistic compassion took over and ended with you giving the perch a reach-around while you shafted him.

Whenever I load my fish gun or my deer gun, bird gun, or even my bow in or out of the truck I try to be discreet. You can stick the bottom of the gun up in your armpit and hold the muzzle down by your leg and the casual observer will not even notice it.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Stinkbait

• Live to dive
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »
When I got kicked out I said I would park up at the tennis courts but they said there was no access for divers that day. Never have had an issue like that before but I'm sure they are just getting sick of the complaints.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 09:28:28 AM »

Whenever I load my fish gun or my deer gun, bird gun, or even my bow in or out of the truck I try to be discreet. You can stick the bottom of the gun up in your armpit and hold the muzzle down by your leg and the casual observer will not even notice it.

Lol!  Yeah right. Now they see a suspicious looking guy trying to conceal a long gun. That will put people's minds at ease!  No matter what type of gun; spear gun, shotgun, rifle, pistol, whatever, someone is going to have a problem with it/you no matter how responsible or discreet you are. 

This is one of our battles in today's world, especially in places like SWS. Most city folk don't like us having guns and killing stuff. Many are offended by it and will use any reason they can find to make it hard on us. But of course we have the "I don't give a fuk, it's my right" crowd who want to show off and end up blowing it for everybody, then claiming ignorance.

Offline Stinkbait

• Live to dive
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 09:36:55 AM »
Very true. There's always the people who think they are entitled to whatever they want. And a side not when I get my deer rifle or bow out I throw it in the air like a baton. I like the tree huggers to know I'm there for the party.

Offline John

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 12:00:26 PM »
I throw it in the air like a baton.

Lol

I don't care what people think of me but I don't want them to know what I've got in the truck /house.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt