collapse

Author Topic: Not Bad for Norcal; A Video-Free Dive Report.  (Read 1356 times)

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
Not Bad for Norcal; A Video-Free Dive Report.
« on: February 20, 2015, 08:04:16 PM »
Jon, Estyn and myself met up at Timber Cove this morning. Wee bit of surge, reasonable viz in places, no breaking waves, 55 degrees F water temp and overcast with in slight circular current inside the cove...It's been like this 1/2 the time I go to TC. We had the place to ourselves, at least on the water.

I stoned two fish...I could have gotten more; there was opportunity every where. Jon and Estyn shot much more fish; hopefully they will be posting some pix. I did not get to check out my new $5, 300 lumen diving light. Doh!! I left the paper inside the battery compartment. Last time I did that I tried opening and closing the battery compartment on the water, but some water got in anyway. Two weeks later, between the salt and battery acid, it completely digested everything inside the flashlight and was rapidly eating right through the flashlight housing.

One big difference this TC dive was the conspicuous lack of kelp to anchor the Banks too. This made thoroughly working one area difficult in deeper water. "Drop your spear gun to mark the bottom" I can hear some thinking. I can't cuz I have no functional safety, it fell out a few dives ago. Both Riffe and J&J told me that all I would need to do to install my new replacement safety is remove the red butt fixture and installation would be "self explanatory". Well it's not...the butt of the gun is filled with a plastic resin. I took some other bolts and screws out of the gun. I looked on the internet for an exploded view of a Riffe Metal Tech spear gun; no way. I checked YouTube for an instructional video, found tons of Riffe related vids,...none addressing the topic of installing a new safety. When I gave up and reinstalled the screws and bolts I realized some other parts had fallen out of the gun. I hate taking crap apart while just guessing what these bolt hold together.

I am still processing the GoPro so I will (may) post some super short ones later...it's always the same crap though... a short vid of me stoning some delicious but forgettable fish. You've seen one, you've seen them all.

So, the Meet and Greet? First weekend of April at VD?

The Lord has given us the seafood; let us enjoy it.

Offline underwater1

Re: Not Bad for Norcal; A Video-Free Dive Report.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 08:19:13 PM »
Nice work.  Could you give us an estimate of how many feet of vis you had?

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 10:13:34 PM »
I say loose the safety. Safteys can fail or get bumped. And I've lost too many fish from forgetting to turn the safety off or accidentally turning it on. I'd much rather have a gun with no loaded bands pointed at me, than a loaded gun with the safety on. Bands off is the best safety.

Also, I recently found a riffe mid-handle metal that was encrusted with sea crap. I opened it up to clean it out and had similar problems with parts not easily disassembling/going back together. In my case I had 2 plastic barrel washers fall out that the screws pass through which connect the  2 halves of the metal body. Very difficult to fit back in.  I actually ended up leaving them out and just not tightening the screws so much as to bend the body. Sure, not the best fix, but it is working really well.

let me know if you find an exploded diagram or instructions on how to properly disassemble a riffe metal mid-handle.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 02:45:32 AM »
The only thing safeties save are fish. It's not like spearguns have hair triggers and you don't swim around with your finger on it anyways. If you insist on not dropping A loaded speargun then leave the bands unloaded and load them on the bottom.

Offline N2Diving

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:38:57 AM »

Nice work.  Could you give us an estimate of how many feet of vis you had?
I'd guess viz was 10-12 feet and maybe it just seemed this way but it improved once you got down a little. I couldn't see anything from the surface and staying oriented was tuff but at 20 or 30 feet it was fine for hunting. All around great day.

Offline natraps

• Diving Is Fun
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 03:18:57 PM »
It's an improbable outcome...your hole-marking, spear gun rolling on the surgey bottom...the trigger getting hooked on anything. Safeties only protect fish?? Mayby the float line gets snagged??
Upshot by my own spear gun??

That's not how I am gunna die.

Best Regards,
Chris
The Lord has given us the seafood; let us enjoy it.

Offline CabKing65

• Cast Iron -BrautWurst Beer PoleSpear-Mako 60CM
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Yhf4PMTgw
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 06:00:45 PM »
 SPear pointed away from you. Me live a Another day !
AKA SnowKing, 

If You want the Freedom to Dive again!  Never dive with out a Freedom Dive Knife!

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 11:07:25 PM »
It's an improbable outcome...your hole-marking, spear gun rolling on the surgey bottom...the trigger getting hooked on anything. Safeties only protect fish?? Mayby the float line gets snagged??
Upshot by my own spear gun??

That's not how I am gunna die.

Best Regards,
Chris

Whatever...    ::).  If I recall correctly you listened to the last bit of advice I gave you.

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 08:47:37 PM »
Does my rob Allen 70 even have a safety?? Oh yeah that's why I missed that last ling!!! Ughhh
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt