collapse

Author Topic: Good Freediving Books?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline underwater1

Good Freediving Books?
« on: February 11, 2015, 11:30:36 AM »
There is young woman at my gym who want to learn more about how to free dive safely yet may not have the funds to take one of the classes.  I remember talking to the young man who has won the Manchester Beach KOA Big Ab Big Ling comp the last several years.  He told me that he learned the free diving techniques by reading a book.  Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject?  Amazon has Breathology, Manual of Freediving, and Deep.  Any recommendations?

Offline StinkyPete

Re: Good Freediving Books?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »
Those are all good books. I think this subject has been covered on another thread. If you search the site I think you'll find it.
Carpe piscem

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 12:06:30 PM »

There is young woman at my gym who I want to impress but I do not want to spend the funds to take her out to dinner.  I remember talking to the young man who has won the Manchester Beach KOA Big Ab Big Ling comp the last several years.  He told me that he learned the free diving techniques by reading a book.  Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject, so I can convince her to go diving with me?  Amazon has Breathology, Manual of Freediving, and Deep.  Any recommendations?

There, I fixed it for you ;)

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:23:54 PM »
Those are all good books. I think this subject has been covered on another thread. If you search the site I think you'll find it.

Damn Peter, you just "spearboarded" him.

Offline DG

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 12:37:29 PM »
No time for a video spoof Jeremy.  I thought you had a bunch ready for moments like this. 

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 01:41:44 PM »
Deep is more of a pop culture take on it, with some weird characters and history.  He gets some direct access to people and experiences in the underwater study world.  I didn't love the writing and I don't think it is the Born to Run of Freediving.  And it is not about how to freedive safely . . . .

Offline kathy

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 02:22:30 PM »
I got this for Christmas. Santa supports freedive hunting. This one is rad. Enough info to make you want more info, but not so much info that you are overwhelmed visually and mentally and abandon it:

http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-foraging-instructional-sustainable-spearfishing/dp/1484904591/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423693123&sr=8-1&keywords=underwater+foraging

uhhh have ya invited her to go diving yet?!!

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 04:19:57 PM »
Try Terry Maas's "Bluewater Hunting and Freediving"

Offline underwater1

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 05:20:13 PM »
Thanks, guys! 

Offline Luckydivah

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 05:30:45 PM »

Damn Peter, you just "spearboarded" him.

Hahaha

Offline Jim Calvinperez

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 11:43:28 AM »
I really liked The Last of the Blue Water Hunters by Carlos Eyles.  Not so much a technique book, more a history...
Paying attention is always less expensive than paying the piper…

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt